Is it possible to unlock a phone for free with an IMEI number? There are many individuals who have the same question in mind due to various reasons.
No matter what reason you may have, there are several workable solutions to address this situation. The below article explains it all for you.
Overview of IMEI Number
Your device’s IMEI is a special identifier number. Let’s assume that your mobile phone is lost or stolen.
In that case, its IMEI number could be used to wipe all data and locate your phone remotely. Isn’t it good news? If your smartphone is ever lost or stolen, you will get the IMEI number blacklisted by contacting your carrier.
However, there are individuals who encounter restrictions imposed by their networks. In that case, they sometimes unlock the phones by entering the respective IMEI numbers.
In addition, using an IMEI number to unlock a device is the legal way to accomplish it. On top of that, no additional software is needed. On top of that, the process will not alter the hardware or software of your device.
You can use any network connected to your phone after following the detailed instructions in this article. Those instructions can be used to unlock a phone free with an IMEI number.
Part 1: Finding Your Phone’s IMEI
Before knowing how to unlock a phone free with an IMEI number, we should know how to locate its IMEI.
Well, in this section, we explain how to acquire the IMEI number on both iPhones and Android devices.
Besides, if you wonder how to find UDID on iPhone, let’s figure out how to get UDID on iPhone effortlessly via different ways, with or without iTunes.
For Android Devices
If you intend to find your Android device’s IMEI number, below is what you should do. In fact, there are two methods to find the IMEI of an Android device.
Method 01: Dial a Code to Find the IMEI
- Open your Android device’s “Phone” option. After that, you should enter the code “*#06#” (without inverted commas) on the keypad. Then, tap the icon dedicated to calling. In other words, you should make a “Call” to *#06#.
- Now, you will see a popup message comprising a number series. It will comprise the IMEI number as well.
Method 02: Use Settings to Find IMEI
Here’s another method to find the IMEI number of your Android device.
- First, you should go to the “Settings ” option and then head to “About Phone.”
- Then, you will see a popup window.
- Just scroll down to find the IMEI number.
You can use any of the methods above to find the IMEI number of your Android device.
Also, if you wonder how to perform an iPhone IMEI check, in this article, we introduce you to 6 tools that can get the IMEI number from your iPhone for you.
The IMEI number is visible on your iPhone’s SIM tray if it is an older iPhone model. Also, you can see it on the rear panel if you are using an iPhone 4S or newer model.
However, starting with the iPhone 8, IMEI numbers cannot be seen on the device’s rear panel. Like Android, the iPhone provides two ways to access the IMEI number.
Method 01: Use Your iPhone’s Settings to Find Its IMEI Number
- First, you should open your iPhone’s settings simply by clicking on its “Settings” app. Then, you should go to the option called “General.”
- Now, you should go to the option called “About.” That will appear on a new page. Then, at the bottom of that page, you can see the device’s IMEI number. In addition to that, you can copy the number simply by pressing on it and holding it.
- Then, you can either share your IMEI number or have it pasted on any app as you wish.
Method 02: Dial the Specific Code to Find Your IMEI Number
- First, you should tap the “Phone” option on your iPhone.
- Once the keypad is opened, enter “*#06#” without inverted commas.
- Dial it.
- You will see a popup window that has the IMEI number.
- Once the details are noted or copied, you can press “Dismiss.”
Part 2: Steps to Unlock Phone Free with IMEI Number
Now that you know the basics. Let’s learn how to unlock a phone for free with an IMEI number. Make sure that you follow the steps carefully to avoid any mistakes.
Step 1: Preparation
It’s important to get everything in order before attempting to unlock a phone for free via IMEI. Carrier-specific rules for IMEI decryption are developed by each service provider.
Once you have the information you need to unlock your device, you may get in touch with your service provider. Your phone provider won’t handle your difficulties if you fail to supply them with any specific information. The following information about your phone is required.
01. Name of the Owner
After purchasing the phone for the first time, it should be registered to a specific owner. So, to unlock the phone free with an IMEI number, you must find out that name (this is compulsory).
02. Phone Number
After that, you must find the phone number and the account number associated with the target device. Without this critical information, you won’t necessarily be able to unlock the device you are targeting.
03. Answers to the Security Questions
You should know the answers to any carrier account’s security questions you’ve put up. When attempting to unlock your device using the IMEI number, you’ll be prompted with a series of security questions.
Step 2: Unlock Your Phone Using the IMEI Number for Free
Now, let’s learn the steps on how to unlock the phone free with an IMEI number. You are directed to this step because you already have the IMEI number and other information.
So, follow the steps carefully, as mentioned below, to get it done.
- First, you should contact the respective carrier using a live chat. If not, you can even reach them through their support number. Once reaching the above information, you should explain to the agent the reasons you want to unlock.
- Once you have done that, you will be asked several questions about the details that are mentioned above. The details are required to check if you are the actual owner of the respective device.
- Once the details are provided properly, the agent who is assigned to your query will unlock the device. It will take 30 days for the carrier to deliver a code to unlock your device.
- After that, you should provide the unlock code given to you by the carrier. You can use any SIM card on your iOS device when it is done.
Part 3: Use a Professional Tool to Whitelist Your Device and Unlock It Quickly
Here’s a great solution if you want a professional alternative to unlocking your device. In this case, we suggest you use a tool called “IMEIDoctor.” The good news is that this tool can unlock nearly any phone, be it an iOS or Android.
It works on any iOS device or Android version. When it comes to Apple devices, this service whitelists the IMEI from Apple’s Activation database. Also, you don’t have to worry about the legitimacy of this process, as it is completely legal.
In other words, it doesn’t necessarily violate terms implied by Apple. It also doesn’t void any warranty. So, all the features of the unlocked phone will function.
IMEIDoctor (IMEIDoctor Review) doesn’t jailbreak your device. Instead, it uses a completely legitimate mechanism to unlock iPhones permanently.
Once unlocked, the device can be updated and upgraded without any trouble. In addition to that, it can be easily linked to iTunes. On top of that, IMEI Doctor offers a guarantee that the respective device will never be relocked.
Why Should You Choose IMEIDoctor?
- Convenient to use even if you are a novice
- No need to remember your security questions or other details
- No jailbreaking is required
- The phone will never be relocked
- The process is legal
- Fast process
Q1. Can I unlock any phone using the IMEI number? Yes, in most cases, you can unlock any phone using the IMEI number. However, there may be exceptions depending on the device and network restrictions.
Q2. How long does it take to unlock a phone using the IMEI number? The time required to unlock a phone can vary. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days, depending on the unlocking method and the service provider’s response time.
Q3. Will unlocking my phone erase my data? Unlocking your phone should not erase any data. However, it’s always recommended to back up your important data before attempting any unlocking process.
Q4. Can I unlock my phone for free using the IMEI number? Yes, there are free methods available to unlock your phone using the IMEI number, such as contacting your service provider or using online unlocking services. However, some methods may involve costs.
Q5. Is unlocking my phone legal? Unlocking your phone is generally legal in many countries. However, it’s essential to comply with local laws and regulations regarding phone unlocking in your region.