Some Windows customers have recently reported that the 0xc0000006 issue prevents starting programs from a network disk. Flaws have long plagued the Windows operating system; this is only the latest in the series.
However, the good news is that a considerable number of individuals were able to fix the problem. The most viable solutions to address status_in_page_error are mentioned in this article.
In a nutshell, if you want to fix status_in_page_error, this article can be considered a guide.
What Is Exactly 0xc0000006 Error?
Those who spend much time in Visual Studio are more likely to run across 0xc0000006 errors. Additionally, it may be seen in MS Excel and Word. It is true that this issue has also been known to occur with locally stored executable files.
However, it is most often associated with users attempting to run a particular script using a network storage drive.
The software, application, or script isn’t started when you click on the executable file. Instead, you’ll get a dialog box that contains an error message that starts with “0xc0000006”.
Assume that you try to execute an application from a network disk. If that’s the case, too protective or a strict virus guard or firewall may generate a false positive. That will eventually lead to this error. Inconsistencies in system files may also cause this error.
Moreover, the 0xc0000006 error has also been linked to registry errors, particularly those involving the AppInst DLLs key.
The Best Solution to Fix Status_In_Page_Error and Many Other Errors
There are various methods to address this error. However, the most effective method is to use DriverFix. With this program, you can avoid hardware failures and software problems by keeping your drivers updated.
Just follow these three simple steps to make sure you have the latest versions of all of your drivers.
- First, you should download the “Driver Easy” application through their official page to begin the process.
- Now, install it and launch it to see the main screen. After that, you should click on the “Scan Now” button. That will detect all the problematic drivers in the system.
- Now, you should click on the option called “Update All.” That will download all the drivers (their latest and most appropriate versions).
That will fix plenty of other errors in your system.
Other Solutions Fix the 0xc0000006 error on Your Operating System
Below are the other solutions you can use to fix the 0xc0000006 error on your system.
Solution 1: Perform a Clean Boot on Your Windows
As the first alternative, you should try a clean boot on Windows. The 0xc0000006 issue may be caused by antivirus software that is in disagreement. Use the Windows and R keys to bring up the “Run” utility.
- Afterward, enter the text “msconfig” in the elevated run command. Then, you should click on “OK” or hit “Enter” to open a separate window.
- In that, you should choose the option called “Selective Startups Item.”
- Then, you are supposed to deselect the option called “Load startup services” to proceed. Then, you should select “Use Original boots configuration” as well. Both of those options appear in the form of checkboxes.
- Now, you should select the option called “Services Tab.” Then, you should select the option “Hide all Microsoft services.”
- Then, you should click on the option called “Disable All.” That will deselect the third-party applications that are installed in your system.
- Now, you should select the option called “Apply.”
- After that, you should press “OK” to exit that window to proceed.
- You are supposed to perform a Restart on the system, so the changes will be applied.
Solution 2: Uninstall Any Third-party Virus Guards in Your System
If the previous solution didn’t work, you could try this one as a good alternative. It’s possible that reinstalling Windows may solve the problem.
However, if it doesn’t, you’ll have to identify what third-party application or service is causing error 0xc000006. The conflicting software might have been your antivirus program.
Uninstall the antivirus software and then revert to your default boot settings. This should work.
To launch Programs and Features, type appwiz.cpl into the Run box. Then go to the Control Panel applet and uncheck the box to remove the third-party antivirus software. After that, use MSConfig to revert to the default boot settings and restart your desktop or laptop.
Solution 3: Perform an SFC
If you have yet to succeed with the above methods, you can also try this one. As per this method, you can perform an SFC.
If you are interested in it, learn how to do it. According to some users, this method has successfully fixed status_in_page_error.
With this method, you can repair potentially corrupted system files. If the error is about corrupted system files, you can expect this method to fix it easily. Let’s give it a try.
- To start this process, you should go to the search feature on your Windows. To do that, you can press both Windows and S keys at once as a shortcut.
- Now, please enter the text CMD in the given box. That will display several options, and you should choose the one that defines Command Prompt.
- You should open the command prompt with additional privileges. In this case, you should click on the option “Run as Administrator” so the CMD window will open.
- Now, enter the following command in the elevated command prompt.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Once you have done that, hit the “Enter” key to proceed.
- After that, please enter the text “SFC /scannow” to proceed. After that, please hit the “Enter” key on the keyboard to run the scan.
- This will repair some of the files that are potentially corrupted. Then, you can restart the computer so the effects will take place.
Solution 4: Change the Registry
Here’s another method to fix this status_in_page_error. You should check this out if none of the above options have worked.
As per this method, you will have to edit the registry keys in your Windows OS. Mentioned below are those steps.
- First, you should launch the “Run” utility. To do that, you should hit the “Windows” key and “R” keys at the same time. Then, hit the “Enter” key.
- After that, you should enter the text “Regedit” in the given space in the “Run” utility. Hit “Enter” or click on the button labeled “OK.” That will bring a new window labeled “Registry Editor.” In that window, you should open the following path.
Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES > SOFTWARE > WOW6432Nodes > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Windows.
- Select the registry key called “Windows.”
- Now, you should perform a double-click on the option called Applnit_DLL.
- Now, you should delete the number found in the “Edit String.” Click on the button called “OK.”
- Close the “Registry Editor” window. Perform a restart to apply the changes.
Solution 5: Check and Free Up Disk Space
Insufficient disk space can contribute to the 0xc0000006 error. To check your disk space and free up storage, follow these steps:
- Press Win + E on your keyboard to open File Explorer.
- Right-click on the drive where your operating system is installed (usually the C: drive) and select “Properties.”
- In the Properties window, you will see a graphical representation of your disk space usage. Check the amount of used and free space available.
- If the drive is running low on disk space, select the “Disk Cleanup” button to remove unnecessary files and free up space.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the disk cleanup process.
- Restart your computer and check if the 0xc0000006 error is resolved.
Solution 6: Update Drivers
Outdated or incompatible drivers can cause various errors, including the 0xc0000006 error. To update your drivers, follow these steps:
- Press Win + X on your keyboard and select “Device Manager” from the menu that appears.
- In the Device Manager window, expand the categories and locate any devices with a yellow exclamation mark indicating a driver issue.
- Right-click on the device with the driver issue and select “Update Driver.”
- Choose the option to search for updated drivers automatically. Windows will search online for the latest drivers and install them if available.
- Repeat this process for any other devices with driver issues.
- Once all the drivers are updated, restart your computer and check if the 0xc0000006 error persists.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is the 0xc0000006 error?
A: The 0xc0000006 error is a Status_In_Page_Error that typically occurs when there is an issue with the page file or paging file on your computer. It can result in system crashes, blue screens of death (BSOD), and other errors.
Q: How can I fix the 0xc0000006 error?
A: There are several steps you can take to fix the 0xc0000006 error. Some of the solutions include running a System File Checker (SFC) scan, updating drivers, and checking and freeing up disk space.
Q: Can malware cause the 0xc0000006 error?
A: Yes, malware infections can contribute to the 0xc0000006 error. Malicious programs can corrupt system files, alter settings, and interfere with critical processes, leading to various errors, including the one we are addressing.
Q: Do I need technical expertise to fix the 0xc0000006 error?
A: While some solutions may require technical knowledge, many of the steps outlined in this guide can be followed by users with basic computer skills. However, if you are uncomfortable performing any of the troubleshooting steps, it is advisable to seek assistance from a knowledgeable individual or a professional.
Q: Why is it important to resolve the 0xc0000006 error promptly?
A: Resolving the 0xc0000006 error promptly is crucial to prevent any further damage to your system and potential data loss. Ignoring the error can lead to system instability, crashes, and other issues that may impact your overall computing experience.
Q: What if the suggested solutions do not fix the 0xc0000006 error?
A: If the suggested solutions do not resolve the 0xc0000006 error, it is recommended to seek further assistance. You can reach out to technical support forums or contact a professional who specializes in computer troubleshooting.
In conclusion, the 0xc0000006 error, specifically the Status_In_Page_Error, can be a frustrating issue to encounter. However, armed with the knowledge and solutions provided in this guide, you can tackle this error head-on.
Remember to run an SFC scan, update your drivers, and check your disk space to address common underlying causes. If you’re unsure or uncomfortable with any of the troubleshooting steps, don’t hesitate to seek assistance. By resolving the 0xc0000006 error promptly, you can restore the stability of your system and enjoy a smooth computing experience once again.