Are you getting 0x80042109 errors when using Outlook? Well, if that’s the case, you can go through this article and learn how to fix it with ease.
Outlook is a reputed application that comes with a very handy email client as well. However, as you can guess, even Outlook can experience some errors at least once in a while.
The good news is that these errors can be fixed without any difficulty or spending much time. So, if you’re already facing a 0x80042109 Outlook error and looking for a solution, go ahead and read this.
Part 1: What You Must Know About 0x80042109 Outlook
That will give you a precise idea about the nature of this error related to Outlook.
What Exactly is a 0x80042109 Outlook Error?
When there is an error like 0x80042109 related to Outlook, that means your email won’t reach the anticipated recipient. That is because the error message says that there is something wrong with the respective email server.
Outlook applications can fail to connect with their mail server for various reasons. Perhaps, it may relate to your internet connection. Also, it can happen when Outlook becomes unresponsive. Nevertheless, what you should know is that the 0x80042109 Outlook error doesn’t create any impact on the system.
What Are the Possible Reasons Behind 0x80042109 Outlook?
There are several reasons for the 0x80042109 error to appear on your Outlook application. With that said, mentioned below are those reasons for you to get a proper idea about it.
- Your PST or email is corrupted.
- Your computer has a spyware or malware infection.
- You have not installed Outlook properly.
- Your internet connection is not steady enough.
- The mail server has not established a connection with the mail server.
- Your account has the wrong internet connection.
- You have plenty of junk files.
- There are unfinished updates related to Outlook.
- A virus can prevent you from sending your emails.
Part 2: Solutions to Try if You Encounter 0x80042109 Error
Now that you know the possible reasons behind the 0x80042109 error on your system. let’s learn the fixes too. There are many different solutions to address this error, and let’s go ahead and learn them.
Solution 01: Remove the Account and Add It Again
This can be considered as one of the most convenient and basic methods to fix this error. As per this method, you should simply remove your account and add it again.
You can follow the list of steps mentioned below and get this solution done.
- First, you should click on the option called “Settings.” After that, you can go ahead and look for the option called “Apps.”
- Now, you are supposed to click on the option called “Outlook” and go to “Advanced Settings” as well.
- Now, please click on the option called “Reset.”
- After that, you can add the account information along with credentials.
- Now, add the account and configure it. Then, wait for a while so the synchronization process will be completed.
- That’s it. The repair process is now completed. You can give it a try to send the email once again. However, if that doesn’t work, you can try the following methods.
Solution 02: Check the Mail Settings
If the previous option didn’t work, you can go ahead and check the settings of your Outlook mail client.
Then, you should check if its SMTP for Outgoing is selected correctly. If it is not, it can be a reason for the 0x80042109 error to appear. So, the only way to fix this error is by resetting the mail settings.
If you are not aware of it, follow the steps below and learn how to do it.
- First, you should open Outlook and go to the option “File.” Then, go to the option “Info” and locate “Account Settings.”
- After that, you should find the respective email account and perform a double-click on it. Click on the option called “Change.”
- Now, please go to the option called “More Settings” and reach “Advanced Settings“.
- You should change the port number of the respective Outgoing Server. Then, you should set its encryption mode to TLS. If the value of the port reads 25, make it 587. Or, you can change it to vice-versa.
- Now, please click on the button called “OK.” After that, click on “Next.” Then, click on “Finish.”
- You can launch Outlook now and see if the 0x80042109 error is gone. Send an email to test it. If you still see an error, try the next solution.
Solution 03: Perform a Reinstallation on Outlook
In some cases, 0x80042109 can appear due to a wrongful installation of Outlook files. If that’s the case, you can uninstall the application and reinstall it.
To do that, please follow the simple guide below.
- As the first step, you should go to the Control Panel and then to the Programs.
- Then, perform a right-click on the icon labeled “Outlook.” Choose the option called ‘Uninstall“.
- Once the program is uninstalled, restart the PC and install Outlook again to proceed.
- Now, reboot the PC. Check if you can send the email.
Solution 04: Deactivate Your Antivirus Program
Do you have a firewall configured on your device? Or do you have an antivirus program? If so, you should disable them and check whether you can send an email as usual.
In some cases, your antivirus program can create conflicts in some programs. If that happens to Outlook, you are likely to experience a 0x80042109 error as well.
Mentioned below is how you can disable the Firewall.
- First, you should launch Control Panel and click on System & Security to proceed.
- Now, go to the option called “Windows Firewall” and switch off Windows Defender.
- Hit OK.
If you want to disable your antivirus, you are supposed to right-click on the icon. Then, you should disable it. Please note that the steps may vary slightly based on the virus guard used.
You can check if the process is completed correctly by pressing the “Alt” + “Ctrl” and “Delete” keys at once. Send a test email using Outlook.
If you can send the email, as usual, the error is pertaining to the Firewall or the antivirus. So, change the settings and perform a restart on the PC.
Solution 05: Check if You Have a Good Internet Connection
As the next step, you can check if the PC is connected to an internet connection properly. The connection should be a stable one. If not, there can be various other consequences, including a 0x80042109 error.
To troubleshoot the connection, you should use the following steps.
- First, you should try restarting the modem as well as the router and establishing a wired connection.
- Now, restart the PC and deactivate your VPN service.
- Run your troubleshooter for Windows.
Send the email now.
Solution 06: Reconfigure Your Outgoing Port
Your system’s SMTP port has a default value of 25. In general, ISPs tend to block it. If it has happened to you, the best approach is to follow the steps.
- Reconfigure your SMTP port’s value to 26.
- Choose 587 as the value for its TLS port.
You can follow the below-mentioned steps to change the TLS port.
- Open Outlook. Go to Tools.
- Go to “Account Settings” and perform double-click on the email.
- Choose “More Settings.” Then, go to “Advanced.”
- Change your SMTP values to 587. Then, choose TLS encryption.
- Send an email to see if it works.
Solution 07: Use Stellar Outlook Repair – a Professional Tool to Repair Your Outlook application
If none of the above options have worked, it is better to use a professional repair tool.
A tool like the Stellar Outlook Repair Tool can be exceptionally handy in this case. This specific tool can restore all the corrupted PST files. Also, it helps retrieve all the mailbox items.
- First, you should install Stellar Outlook Repair on your system and open it.
- Then, click on the home menu and choose “Select Outlook PST.”
- Browse for the potentially corrupted PST file and click on Repair.
- Wait for some time so the process will be completed.
- Now, you can view the PST file, which is repaired. Make sure that you double-click on it. View the file’s contents and click on “Save the repaired file.”
- Click OK.
Stellar Outlook Repair will get things back to normal. So, go ahead and send your emails once again.
Well, the above methods will help to fix the 0x80042109 Outlook error. Even if all the other solutions don’t work, Stellar Outlook Repair will do the needful.
So, go ahead and try that tool. If you have any other doubts, you can go ahead and leave us a comment.