Both Windows and Mac computers are supposed to work smoothly. However, like anything else in the real world, computers experience some troubles, too, at least occasionally.
For instance, assume that your mouse’s scroll wheel is not working. Well, needless to say, it would be an exceptionally annoying issue.
Moreover, the consequences can vary based on what task you were involved in when experiencing the issue. Your concentration will be disturbed, and you will have to rethink the work from scratch. Things can become devastating if the scroll wheel does not work when you are nearing a deadline.
Even if you have not experienced the scroll wheel not working issue yet, you better continue reading this article.
If you experience something similar in the future, the instructions provided in this article would be handy. So, keep reading.
One or More Following Instances Would Indicate That Your Mouse Scroll Wheel is Not Working
- The configurations related to the buttons are gone, and factory settings are available.
- You cannot change the button assignments for the pointing device.
- The button assignment commands located in the IntelliPoint will be unavailable (or dimmed)
- Scrolling can be painfully slow or uncontrollably fast
The mouse scroll wheel not working issue is pretty common in Windows PCs. There is no shortage of individuals who report scroll wheel malfunctions in their mice. As they say, the scroll wheel doesn’t respond or respond too slowly when scrolling.
Well, it is needless to say, how annoying this issue can be. In the absence of proper mouse wheel functionality, you cannot make the best use of the mouse.
However, you shouldn’t worry about it because we are ready to explain how to resolve it. We explain a couple of ways to resolve this issue.
01. Get Rid of Conflicting Mouse Software
Sometimes, the cause behind the scroll wheel not working may be conflicting mouse software. For instance, if you have recently replaced your mouse, there can be two drivers in the system.
In that case, both software programs will try to operate simultaneously, causing various conflicts. As a result, you will end up experiencing various malfunctions and the scroll wheel not working is one of those.
The only way to address such an issue is to uninstall the conflicting unnecessary software.
To Do That, You Should Follow the Steps Mentioned Below.
- For Windows 7 and newer, go to Control Panel and select the Programs option. Then, you can uninstall any of the software in your system. In this case, you should find the software related to the previous mouse and uninstall it. To directly access the Control Panel, you can hit the Start button and type in ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the search box. Then hit ‘Enter.’
- However, if you are using Windows XP, you should go to Control Panel and select ‘Add or Remove Programs.’ You can do this by clicking on the Start button, selecting ‘Run,’ and entering the text’ appwiz.cpl.’ Click OK.
- You can follow the on-screen instructions to get rid of the unwanted software. When you uninstall, make sure that you remove the previous mouse’s software program only.
- Once you are done with that, you should restart the computer.
If the problem was related to conflicting mouse software, it should be resolved by now.
02. See if There is an Application-specific Issue
The first thing you should make sure of is if the issue is related to a specific application. For instance, some programs may not communicate with the mouse properly, and signals won’t send properly.
If the issue has arisen due to an issue specific to a certain application, you should know several things. Some of the mouse devices come with a ‘high-resolution‘ feature.
On the other hand, not all the applications you use are not compatible with such a feature. In other words, those applications cannot interpret what the mouse communicates by scrolling the wheel.
When the low-res mouse wheels scroll, the driver of the mouse will send a certain value of magnitude. Usually, it is 120 magnitudes for the wheel’s up and down. Therefore, if the mouse gives a magnitude of 120 or -120, that should be considered a single scroll.
So, if a certain application receives fewer magnitudes than what it is programmed for, it won’t fully scroll. It will generally cause a part scroll. If not, some applications will wait until it receives the full amount of magnitude to complete a single scroll. As a result of that, you will experience a slower mouse scroll on-screen.
So, you should check if the scroll wheel is not working with some programs only. To do this, you should compare the behaviors of the scroll in several different programs. If you find a noticeable difference, you should either reinstall the program.
If not, you can even change the mouse settings within the respective program itself. Then, you should see if the scroll wheel issue is gone.
03. Update the Driver of the Mouse
Every hardware component connected to your system unit requires a driver. The system unit will identify the functionalities of the respective hardware component through these drivers.
A driver is a specific set of instructions that bridges the hardware and CPU. When these driver software programs are corrupted, outdated, or missing, the respective component will start to malfunction. So, if your mouse’s driver is outdated, corrupted, or missing, that might cause some issues.
In this case, you will have to update the mouse driver and see if the problem is gone. In most cases, the problem can be resolved with this method and get your mouse working back.
There are two options to consider when updating the drivers installed on your computer. You either do it manually or do it automatically. For the latter, you will require a professional tool like Driver Easy.
What’s Driver Easy?
Driver Easy is a dedicated software that can identify outdated, corrupted, or missing drivers in your system. Then, it can find the most appropriate drivers for those drivers from reliable sources.
Thanks to Driver Easy, you can avoid malicious files and fake websites claiming to offer drivers. The installation process with Driver Easy is very convenient.
Driver Easy has two options; the Free version and the Pro version. The best thing about this software is that it finds and installs drivers even with its free version.
However, you should go for the Pro Version to update your computer’s drivers with a two-click operation. On top of that, they offer you a comprehensive 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Update Your Drivers using Driver Easy
- Download Driver Easy and install it on your computer.
- Launch the program and click on the button labeled ‘Scan Now.’
- It will scan the computer and find all the potential outdated drivers.
- Now, you can click on the button labeled ‘Update‘ next to each driver to update them if you find the same button next to the mouse driver and get it updated.
- If you have plenty of drivers to be updated, you may go to ‘Pro Version.’ Then, it is a matter of two clicks.
04. Contact the Manufacturer
If you have tried both the methods mentioned above and the issue persists, contact the manufacturer because the problem might be related to the hardware issue of the device. You may even get a new mouse if the mouse is under warranty.
As we mentioned, the same issue can also appear in Mac systems. It is absolutely true that Macs don’t offer you many opportunities like Windows when it comes to repairing mice.
To rectify this issue, you may follow the steps mentioned in the below section.
- 01. Unplug the mouse from the computer as the first step.
- 02. Then, you should turn the mouse upside down.
- 03. While the mouse is turned upside down, you are required to rub the scroll wheel in various ways. Keep doing it for about a minute. If you need, you can even use a dry, clean piece of linen to get this task done effortlessly.
- 04. If the scroll wheel is still malfunctioning, you can also use a moistened cloth to remove dirt. To moisten the cloth, you can use some alcohol as well (methylated spirit).
- 05. If you cannot find a piece of linen, you may even rub the wheel against your cotton clothing. You can wear your shirt, jeans, handkerchief or anything else you would do.
- 06. If the problem persists, you will have to repeat the steps. But, if the issue tends to stay, you may go for a replacement.
Also read: Chromebook Mouse Not Working – Here are the surefire fixes!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Q: Why is my mouse scroll wheel not working after updating Windows? A: After updating Windows, the mouse drivers may not be compatible with the new system version. Try updating the mouse drivers or rolling back to the previous version to resolve the issue.
- Q: How can I clean my mouse scroll wheel effectively? A: To clean the scroll wheel, use a cotton swab lightly moistened with rubbing alcohol or a specialized electronic cleaning solution. Gently rotate the wheel to remove any dirt or debris.
- Q: Can I fix a broken scroll wheel on my mouse? A: If the scroll wheel is physically damaged, it may be challenging to fix it yourself. Consider contacting the manufacturer for repairs or replacing the mouse if it’s still under warranty.
- Q: Why does my mouse scroll wheel only work in certain applications? A: Different applications may have their own scroll wheel settings. Ensure that the scroll wheel is enabled and configured correctly in the specific application where it’s not working.
- Q: Is there a way to customize the scroll wheel functions? A: Some mice come with software that allows you to customize the scroll wheel’s behavior. Check the manufacturer’s website for any available software or utility that can help you customize the mouse settings.
As you might have noticed, the mouse scroll wheel may not work for various reasons. With Mac, you don’t have many options other than cleaning the mouse wheel or replacing it.
However, with Windows, you have several options to consider. You may try any of those methods and get your mouse working once again.
If the case is related to drivers, you should update the drivers and see. Keeping your drivers updated is a good practice, even if you don’t notice any issue with the mouse.
To get it done, you can use a tool like Driver Easy. If you have any questions regarding this issue, you may leave us a comment below.