Are you reading this article as you have experienced the MacBook Pro black screen issue? We will explain how to fix it and let you start your beloved MacBook again.
Well, the MacBook Pro screen black can be considered a somewhat common issue these days. It can appear once in a while on your MacBook and make you frustrated.
So, fixing this issue as soon as possible should be the prime concern of anyone who comes across it. If you have noticed this issue, the main thing is that you shouldn’t panic about it.
Reasons Behind the MacBook Pro Black Screen
The MacBook Pro’s black screen can be considered a minor glitch rather. Also, it can be a symptom of a potentially underlying issue.
So, the good news is that majority of you will be able to overcome the issue with some troubleshooting.
Before trying the troubleshooting, it is better to learn the reasons behind the MacBook Pro screen black issue.
That will give you a better idea of the issue. Mentioned below are the most common reasons behind this issue.
01. Power Failure
One of the most common reasons behind the black screen issue on the MacBook is a power failure.
That means your MacBook’s screen can go black if there is a power failure on the system. So, you should check it in the first place.
02. Due to Broken Disc Permission or Login Items
This can be considered another common issue on MacBook Pro devices. The normal booting procedure of the MacBook can get interrupted due to broken disc permission. In addition, it can also trigger due to login item issues.
In certain cases, various problematic applications are installed and running on your laptop. These apps can often interfere with the auto startup list and prevent normal booting. Eventually, it can trigger the MacBook Pro screen to turn black.
03. An Error Associated with Software
The apps you are using on the MacBook Pro might have some bugs, at least occasionally. These bugs can eventually end up causing a black screen error on your MacBook Pro.
04. Incompatibility of Hardware or Software
If your MacBook has some incompatible software or hardware installed, it can lead to a black screen error.
Black screen error is only one issue among many others caused due to hardware or software incompatibilities. Also, software issues can be experienced mainly after macOS updates.
05. Connection Failures
It is inevitable for your MacBook to have solid connections between the hardware components to function properly.
If those components get loosened, there can be some connectivity issues. In addition to that, connectivity issues can appear due to accumulated dust or fungus.
Besides, if you are facing the Macbook Pro not charging issue, click to fix it now.
How to Fix MacBook Pro Screen Black Issue With Ease
Now that you have a basic understanding of the MacBook Pro black screen. Let’s learn the fixes.
Also, the message “your screen is being observed” on your Mac can stun you if you are a novice user. Here, let’s figure out the reasons and best solutions for that.
01. Check the Display to Fix MacBook Pro Black Screen
If the MacBook screen has gone dark, it is important to check the display before everything else. Sometimes, the issue can appear simply because you have accidentally reduced the display’s brightness to the lowest.
If that is the case, you can use the F1 and F2 keys on the keyboard. That is to adjust the brightness to an appropriate level. If that doesn’t work, move to the next solution.
02. Restart the MacBook Pro to Fix MacBook Pro Black Screen
The next simplest solution is to perform a simple restart on the MacBook Pro. If you are lucky enough, the computer will boot to its normal state without a black screen. Restarting can fix minor issues related to the OS and get things back to normal.
03. Check if You Have Accidentally Put the Macbook Pro in Its “Sleep Mode”
If you have accidentally put the MacBook Pro to “Sleep Mode,” you can see its black screen. Also, it can go into “Sleep Mode” automatically when left idle for some time.
In this case, you should wake the MacBook up. How? Type the first letter of your username and press the “Enter” key on the keyboard. Your Mac will immediately give you a response and wake up.
04. Enter the Password
The next solution is to enter the password. This is so simple. Just enter the computer’s password and hit the “Enter” key.
05. Disconnect the Peripheral Devices Connected to the Macbook
Sometimes, the issue can appear due to incompatibility or malfunctioning of the peripherals connected to the MacBook.
So, you can unplug those devices and restart the laptop to see if it works. This method should work if the case is associated with any peripherals.
06. Disable the Startup Items
Your MacBook Pro might have some apps that are programmed to be launched on startup automatically. If there is a large number of startup items, they can interfere with the overall performance of the MacBook.
So, you should check and disable those items on your MacBook to resolve this issue.
The steps to get it done are mentioned below.
- First, you should go to System Preferences.
- Then, go to the option called “Users and Groups.”
- Now, you should choose your username, located on the left.
- Go to the tab labeled “Login Items.”
- You can disable the startup programs by ticking off each item.
- Then, you should press the “-“ sign mentioned below.
07. Use a Keypress Sequence to Fix Macbook Pro Black Screen
The next option is to try a keypress sequence and see if the black screen is gone. All Apple laptops have a special sequence of keys to perform various tasks.
For instance, those keys can reset the MacBook or put it in sleep mode. Please follow up to use such sequences.
- Press the power button so a special dialog box will pop up (you cannot see it, though).
- Press “S” on the keyboard (it puts your MacBook Pro on sleep mode).
- Then press the power button and hold it so your MacBook Pro will shut down forcefully.
- Once it is shut down, wait for about 15-20 seconds.
- Press the power button once again to see if the MacBook Pro starts.
08. Reset Your SMC (System Management Controller)
If you cannot solve the issue after a restart, reset the SMC (System Management Controller). This will reset all the settings about the power management option on the Mac.
Mentioned below are the steps to it.
- Shut down the MacBook Pro and ensure it is connected to the MagSafe power adapter. Also, don’t forget to plug it into a wall outlet.
- Now, you can reset SMC using “Shift” + “Control” + “Option” and “Power Button” simultaneously.
- Wait for a couple of seconds & release them all at once, so the MacBook Pro must boot.
- Once you have done this, the MacBook Pro should work normally.
09. Reset MacBook Pro’s NVRAM/PRAM to Fix MacBook Pro Black Screen
If you are yet to succeed with the MacBook Pro black screen issue, try this one. In this case, you will have to reset the NVRAM or PRAM using the below steps.
- First, you should perform a force shutdown on your MacBook.
- Now, please press & hold the power button to hear the startup sound on the MacBook. After that, you should press the “Command” + “Opt” + “P” + “R” keys at once.
- You should hold those keys to hear the startup sound again. Release those buttons at once.
That’s how to reset your MacBook’s NVRAM/PRAM. For many users, this method should work, and the MacBook Pro should boot normally.
However, resetting NVRAM will erase some of the settings. So, you will have to check settings such as date/time, display, disc, etc., once again.
10. Update the Apps Installed on Your Macbook Pro and Reinstall macOS
As mentioned, the MacBook can also experience a black screen issue due to software glitches.
If that is the case, you should have all those apps updated to the latest versions. In addition to that, you should update the macOS to its latest version as well.
However, before performing those actions, you should do the following without fail.
● Backup the MacBook Pro
It is important to create a backup of the MacBook Pro before updating it. If not, you will risk losing the important data saved on your device. Your MacBook Pro has a special Time Machine feature that can be used to back up.
● Ensure that It Has Enough Space
It is inevitable to have enough storage capacity on your MacBook to reinstall the new macOS version. In the absence of enough space, the reinstallation process will fail.
To get rid of unwanted files, you can simply use a professional tool like CleanMyMac. Apart from optimizing the startup menu, it can free up your device’s storage easily.
● Cleaning the Junk Files
CleanMyMac has quick clean and deep clean options to easily eliminate unwanted files.
● Deleting Large Files
This software is smart enough to locate large files and delete them to free up more space.
● Deleting Duplicate Files
This software can find duplicate files on the system and delete them to free up precious space.
● Managing Apps and Their Extensions
Using this software, you can uninstall unwanted apps and remove extensions from the system.
In a nutshell, CleanMyMac is an all-in-one tool that can optimize the overall performance of your MacBook. It ensures that the device is cleaned with a couple of clicks.
So, that’s exactly how to address your device’s MacBook Pro black screen issue. We believe that at least one of the above solutions will help you overcome MacBook Pro screen black error.