“I get an error message saying Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active. Does that mean that the recipient has blocked me? If not, is there any other reason behind it? Can you tell me the solutions for this issue?”
The above request is extracted from a question asked by a user who is in trouble. He states a specific message saying, “Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active.”
If you are also bothered by the same problem, don’t worry, as plenty of other users experience the same issue. When you take a quick look at the issue, you can realize that it is related to a restriction.
Some assume that it appears because someone has blocked you from their end due to some reason. However, this is not 100% true. There are plenty of other reasons for an Android device to display such a message.
So, with this guide, we intend to cover all those reasons and then explain how to resolve them.
Part 1: Reasons Why “Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active” Issue Appears
According to the gathered information, this error message appears with Android devices that use T-Mobile. Nevertheless, it is also noted that some other users also may experience the same issue.
Regardless of that, there is more than one reason for Android devices to experience this issue. So, read the section below and learn the reasons that can cause the issue.
01. You Are Blocked by the Intended Recipient
As mentioned before, this could be the main reason for you to experience this error. About 80% of users see this error message due to this reason.
If the user has blocked your contact number, you will definitely receive this message. You cannot fix this issue unless the recipient unblocks you.
02. There is a Service Outage
In addition to being blocked by someone, this error can occur due to a service outage as well. Any mobile service can experience those service outages at least once in a while. During the service outage, you cannot send any messages.
As a result, you’ll see the “Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active” message. With that said, this could be the second most common reason behind this issue.
03. Premium Message Access
Android has a dedicated feature called premium messaging. This feature is used by various messaging platforms to send and receive messages.
However, you should get permission to access the respective messaging app after the installation. If no permission is granted, the respective app will not send or receive messages through it.
04. Due to a Shortcode
When it comes to the specific issue called “Shortcode,” it occurs on T-Mobile connections, as we have learned.
As per this error, you will see a separate code with the aforesaid error message. Since it is a technical fault, it should be handled by the service provider (T-Mobile).
05. Your Phone Bill is Past Due
Although it sounds like a no-brainer, many individuals forget to settle their outstanding bills. As a result, they become unable to use the regular services offered by their respective carrier networks. So, you should check if you have paid the bill and you have the service has continued.
If it is unpaid, you can regain the service back simply by paying the outstanding bill. Interestingly, many individuals face this issue just because they have forgotten to pay the bill.
Part 2: Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active – List of Fixes
Now, let’s learn the fixes. In this section, we explain several options to overcome the issue and start messaging once again. Please note that some of those solutions are very easy, while others may need some effort.
So, let’s fix the “Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active” error.
Method 01: Give Permission for Premium SMS Facility
As we said, some messaging apps installed on your device require Premium SMS access. With that said, if you’re using a third-party app for messaging, you should give it premium SMS permission.
To get it done, you should follow the steps mentioned below.
- As the first step, you should go to the “Settings” window and scroll down. Find the option called “Apps” and tap on it.
- Now, you should tap on the option called the “Menu” icon in the top-right corner, then choose the option called “Special Access.”
- Now, please tap on the “Premium SMS Access” option. After that, you should select the app which is looking for permission.
Method 02: Contact the Official Support
Are you using a T-Mobile connection? If that is the case, please contact the official customer support to get it solved.
They will resolve the “Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active” error from their end successfully.
Method 03: Check if the Phone Number You Are Using is Activated
In various cases, the users say that they have experienced this error when the number is deactivated permanently.
If the same thing has happened to you, you should contact the customer support service of the respective carrier. Then, ask them to reactivate the number.
Method 04: Check if the Text Messages Are Enabled on the Account
Are you yet to find an answer to this issue? If that is the case, please check if the text messaging services are deactivated on the respective number.
In fact, this happens especially if you have not settled the phone bill. Also, it can happen if you have reached the maximum text messaging quota.
Method 05: Check if The Recipient Blocks Your Number
If you are yet to succeed with this error? In that case, please check if the intended recipient has blocked your number. To check this, you should perform a simple step.
All you should do is make a phone call to the respective number to which you should message. Then, you can make sure if the number is blocked or not. If it is blocked, you cannot text or call her.
So, the only way to fix the error is to text that number from a different contact number. If not, you should talk to the recipient through a different media and request to unblock you.
Part 3: Other Important Things You Should Know About Messaging Blocking Feature
You might have already realized that a message-blocking feature is a superb tool. If you don’t want to receive messages or calls from any number, you can block it with this feature. So, this is a very useful option to keep troublesome contacts at bay.
This will be a very handy feature to block promotional messages or other annoyances.
If you hope to know how to do that, follow the steps that are mentioned below.
- First, you should launch the Message app on the device.
- After that, you should tap and hold the respective threat you intend to block.
- Now, click on the option labeled “Menu” and tap on the option called “Block.”
That’s it. The contact is blocked now, and they cannot message you.
Also read: 7 easy solutions to fix “iMessage doesn’t say delivered.”
Bonus Tip: Clear the Cache of Android Devices for FREE using ReiBoot
You should remember that Android devices can become vulnerable to various issues, at least on an occasional basis. And “Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active” is one of those issues.
In fact, this issue can trigger as a result of built-up cache memory. If you don’t clean the cache on a regular basis, it can build into a large file. Then you will experience various errors.
So, it is a good Android user habit to clean up the cache memory on a regular basis. And you will enjoy better performance and smoothness with the device. To get it done, you can use a professional tool.
The best in the business for this job is ReiBoot for Android. This is a professional utility that can recover various errors on the device.
Clearing your cache with a single tap is only one of its precious functions. That said, mentioned below is how to get it done.
- First, you should download ReiBoot on your PC and install it.
- And Connect Android to the same computer using a USB. You should ensure that the USB debugging mode is enabled on the Android device at this stage.
- Click on the option called “One-Click to Clear System Cache.”
- Now, ReiBoot will clean the cache files automatically.
- The process will take only a couple of minutes to be completed, and that’s it.
Also read: How to fix Facebook Messenger sent but not delivered.
- Q: Can message blocking be enabled accidentally? A: No, message blocking is typically a deliberate action either by the user or the mobile service provider.
- Q: Are there any charges associated with resolving message blocking issues? A: The resolution process for message blocking issues is usually free of charge. However, it is advisable to confirm this with your service provider.
- Q: Can I still receive messages if message blocking is active? A: It depends on the specific settings configured by your service provider. Some types of messages might be blocked, while others can still be received.
- Q: Will disabling message blocking affect my device’s security? A: Disabling message blocking does not directly impact your device’s security. However, it is crucial to exercise caution while receiving messages from unknown sources.
- Q: Is there a way to enable selective message blocking? A: Yes, some mobile service providers offer options to enable selective message blocking, allowing users to block messages from specific phone numbers or categories.
Well, that’s how to fix the “Free msg: unable to send message – message blocking is active” issue. Do you know other ways to fix it? Please comment below.
Also, comment about the other Android-related issues you may have so we can help you out. Good luck!