Things can go crazy when your ‘Face ID not working move iPhone lower.’
However, the good news is that every problem has a solution. This article explains how to get rid of that issue and use your iPhone again.
Common Issues With Face ID
Face ID usually works like a charm. But when it doesn’t, the issue often falls into two categories:
Face ID Not Recognizing You
Sometimes, Face ID may fail to recognize your face. This could be due to a multitude of factors like a changed appearance or a software glitch.
“Move iPhone Lower” Message
Occasionally, you might see a “Move iPhone Lower” message. This suggests that the Face ID camera isn’t properly aligned with your face.
Reasons Why Face ID May Not Work
Why does Face ID throw a fit now and then? Let’s delve into some common reasons.
Incorrect Angle or Distance
Face ID requires a specific angle and distance to work correctly. If your iPhone is too close or far, or at an awkward angle, Face ID might prompt you to “Move iPhone Lower.”
Unrecognized Physical Changes
Significant changes in your appearance may confuse Face ID. This includes drastic hairstyles, glasses, facial hair, or even some types of makeup.
Poor Lighting Conditions
Face ID relies on a clear view of your face. Poor lighting can hinder this, leading to failed recognitions or the “Move iPhone Lower” prompt.
Besides, if you are struggling with your weather app on your iPhone not working? Discover tips, tricks, and troubleshooting techniques to help you navigate through any tempest.
Let’s Fix the Issue ‘Face ID Not Working Move iPhone Lower’
To fix this issue, you should test the camera sensor. To do that, you can use the True Tone option and fix the errors.
After that, you can download iOS updates. Your device should be force restarted. If the respective issue is prevailing, you should go to “Set up an Alternative Appearance and reset Face ID.” As the final step, you should reset your device’s settings, “All Settings.”
Well, that’s just an introduction to the steps you should follow to fix this issue. Below is a detailed outline of the steps, so it will be easy even for a novice.
We encourage our users to go through these steps exactly how they are listed. Then, you can fix the Face ID not working and move the iPhone lower error without hassle.
Besides, are you facing this spatial audio sound not working/playing issue with your AirPods? If so, find the different ways to deal with it in this article.
Steps to Follow (Detailed)
Mentioned below is the detailed guide for you to fix this error.
Also, let’s figure out why WhatsApp notifications are not working on iPhones and the different solutions for you to fix it easily.
Step 01: Test the Camera Sensor (with the help of True Tone)
As we have noticed, the errors related to Face ID can occur due to software or hardware issues.
So, if you notice ‘Face ID not working move iPhone lower.’ Let’s check if it is associated with hardware. Mentioned below is how to get it done.
We will be testing your camera’s sensor as per this method. So, let’s go ahead and learn how to perform it.
Before moving to the steps, we should check if your iPhone’s camera has any physical disturbances. For instance, you should look for aspects like dirt, residue, or even screen protectors.
The problem is different if the camera is perfectly clean and no obstructions exist. It could be related to an issue with your device’s hardware. This is when the True Tone test comes to play.
Mentioned below is how to do that.
- First, you should unlock your iPhone and wipe it down. That will bring the Control Center up. Then, you should hold it down so you can see the slider for Brightness.
- After that, in the “Brightness Center” option, you should enable “True Tone” to proceed. You can see the button turns blue when it is turned on. After that, you can slide down the slider, and the brightness will be off.
- Then, you should light a flasher (you can use another phone’s flashlight or even an actual one). It should be directed to the device’s camera.
- Well, under normal conditions, the brightness of the device should turn on automatically. Also, the brightness level must increase automatically. However, if that doesn’t happen, your device might be undergoing a hardware-related issue with its camera sensor.
- After confirming it as a hardware-related issue, you should take it to an expert. You are not supposed to fix hardware issues independently unless you are an expert. The best approach is to reach a technician who has Apple authorization. If not, you should contact Apple Support.
If the brightness level gets reduced automatically, the problem is not related to hardware; it is a software-related error.
In the next phase, let’s learn how to fix the software-related Face ID not working move iPhone lower issue.
Step 02: Download the iOS Software Update
If the issue isn’t related to hardware, the next step is checking its software and fixing it.
In fact, at this stage, you should download and install the most recent iOS version.
Below are steps you can follow and download the latest iOS version on your device.
- First, you should go to “Settings.”
- After that, you should go to the “General” option.
- You can then select “Software Update” to proceed.
- You can now see if any updates are available for the system software. If there is an update, just go to “Download & Install”.
- The device should be restarted after the update. Then, the respective issue should be resolved. So, you should be able to use the “Face ID” option without any trouble.
That’s it. The above step would fix the Face ID not working and move the iPhone lower error if it was related to software.
Step 03: Perform a Force Restart
Here’s another common, effective but easy solution to try.
This specific solution works effectively to solve many issues on your iOS device. So, let’s go ahead and try that.
In addition, if you wonder how to find UDID on iPhone, here, let’s figure out how to get UDID on iPhone effortlessly via different ways, with or without iTunes.
Force Restarting Your iPhone – Steps to Follow
If you are unfamiliar with force restarting your iPhone, below are the instructions.
- To begin the process, press the volume up button and release it quickly.
- Once you have done that, follow the same steps with your device’s volume-down button.
- Then, you should press the side button and hold it for a while. You can release it when your iPhone displays the Apple log on its screen.
Please note that your iPhone may take 10 seconds to display the Apple logo.
So, make sure that you keep holding the button until it appears. After the restarting is completed, you can check if the respective issue is fixed.
Step 04: Use an Alternative Appearance
If you did not succeed with the previous step, you should try this one.
In this case, you should configure an alternative appearance on your device to overcome this issue.
Steps to Configure the Alternative Appearance
- First, you should select the “Settings” option.
- After that, you should scroll down and tap the “Face ID and Passcode” option.
- Enter the passcode to proceed.
- After that, you should select the option that represents “Set Up and Alternate Appearance.”
- Then, as the final step, go to “Get Started” on the page that facilitates configuring Face ID.
- Now, you should follow the instructions on the screen and select “Done” to complete it.
Probably, the above steps might fix this issue. If not, don’t fret, as the following is another solution.
Step 05: Reset Your Device’s Face ID
If you are still bothered by the issue, you are supposed to follow the steps mentioned below. It will reset the Face ID of the device.
- First, you should select the “Settings” option.
- Then, you should scroll down and tap on the “Face ID & Passcode” option.
- Once you have done that, enter the passcode.
- After that, you should select the “Reset Face ID” option.
- The final step is to hit the “Get Started” button under Face ID.
Many individuals will find this method to be effective in various circumstances. However, for some, it may not work as expected. If that’s the case with you, don’t worry, as the next step might solve it.
Step 06: Reset All Settings
You may also try this solution if you have yet to fix the error. If the issue prevails even after the above steps, you are likely going through a complex hardware error.
The best method to fix such an error is to perform a reset on the device. If the issue is related to software, you can surely fix it with a hard reset.
A reset will wipe out the settings and any other available data. Everything you have configured already will be set to the default values.
Then, before using the device again, you should enter the network password and connect Bluetooth devices once again.
Nevertheless, this is a surefire solution to fix all the issues with your iPhone (particularly the software). Despite the risk, you may go ahead if you wish to proceed with these steps.
- First, you should go to the “Settings” option.
- After that, you should go to the “General” option.
- Then, you can scroll down to the bottom of the page. Go to the “Transfer or Reset iPhone” option.
- As the final step, you should hit the “Reset” option. You can find it at the bottom of the page.
After the above step, you might be able to see that the device gets shut down. Once the device is reset, you can configure it correctly. You can then check if the issue is resolved. For almost any user, this trick should work.
That means the “Face ID not working move iPhone lower” error might be gone. However, if the issue persists, don’t wait; just take it to an Apple service center.
- Why does my iPhone keep telling me to move lower for Face ID?
- Your iPhone may be at an incorrect angle or distance from your face. Try adjusting its position.
- Does Face ID work in the dark?
- Yes, Face ID uses infrared technology and should work in most lighting conditions. However, extremely dark or bright light may affect its accuracy.
- Can Face ID recognize me with glasses or makeup?
- Yes, but drastic changes might confuse it. If you frequently wear glasses or heavy makeup, consider incorporating them when setting up Face ID.
- Can I use Face ID for multiple faces?
- No, Face ID only recognizes one face per device for security reasons.
- How can I improve Face ID recognition?
- Ensure you’re in good lighting when setting up Face ID and hold your device at arm’s length from your face. You can also reset Face ID and set it up again.
So, the above are the solutions you can try if ‘Face ID not working move iPhone lower.’
As you may see, there are different steps to take. The most appropriate method is to try the options mentioned in this article (starting from the simplest).
If none of the solutions are working, you should contact customer service. They will repair your device. If not, they may even provide you with a replacement.
So, what’s your opinion about these steps? Do you know other ways to fix it?