Many of you might have to face the issue of Steam Disk Write Error occurring while installing or updating any game or application on your PC.
Well, this is one very annoying problem that a lot of users face. The good thing is that the problem is solvable, and the users have tried and approved many fixes to deal with it.
This article brings you all such methods to efficiently fix the steam error and get back to accessing the app hassle-free. So let’s get started.
11 Methods to Fix the Steam Disk Write Error
These fixes that we are going to present to you here will work equally well for Windows 7/8/10. Just go through the list and pick one that suits you the best.
The list is exhaustive, so you can even try on a second option if the first one doesn’t work for you.
Just note that you must ensure more than sufficient space on the PC disk, for which you might even have to remove certain apps to try the below fixes.
PS: learn more about how to fix the Steam content file locked error.
1. Update the Drivers to Fix Steam Disk Write Error
Outdated or wrong drivers can cause problems like this to stop the apps from functioning. It thus becomes important to update them to avoid the error issue. However, many of you would find it difficult or regressive to do so.
You can take the help of the software Driver Easy to do the job automatically. Now you don’t have to worry about the system, downloading the wrong driver, or making any mistake while installing the driver.
Driver Easy recognizes the system and also finds correct drivers automatically while handling everything else on its own. Two versions of this tool update the drivers- free and pro.
The pro version is quicker to use, with just two steps to finish the update process. It also comes with full support plus a 30-day return policy.
You Need to Follow These Steps to Fix the Error with Driver Easy:
- Download the app Driver Easy and install it.
- Open the software and click on the button Scan now. Your computer will then be scanned for any problematic drivers.
- Click on Update All. This will download and then install the updated versions of every malfunctioning driver automatically. To do this, you will be prompted to upgrade the software to the pro version. To avoid this, you can partly and manually update the drivers singularly by clicking on Update.
- Restart the PC to apply the updates.
- Then re-download or re-update the faulty app and check for the Steam disk write error if it is fixed.
2. Check the Bad Sectors for Repair to Fix Steam Disk Write Error
Following this approach will require a third-party tool to help you with free partition management, i.e., EaseUS Partition Master.
It has easy-to-use check partition functions that will check and repair the bad sectors and all the partition errors in the hard drive. Follow these steps:
- Launch the app on the computer. Open the target disk and right-click on the partition you wish to check. Select the Check File System.
- In this window, select the option Try to fix errors if found. Click on Start.
- The software will start the checking process for the partition file system from the disk. Once completed, click on the tab Finish.
3. Replace the Malfunctioning Hard Drives
It’s a sad issue when you have to upgrade or replace the hard drives that have stopped functioning due to serious problems.
This solution is permanent in tackling the steam disk write error. For replacing such hard drives, the clone disk feature of EaseUS Partition Master can be used.
Follow These Steps to Do So:
- Open the app on your computer. Select the disk you want to clone or copy by right-clicking on it. Then, click on Clone.
- Choose the target disk or the destination HDD/SSD. Then click on the option Next.
- The next step is to review the layout of the disk and edit its partition size. Now click on the option Continue. You will be warned against the deletion of all the data stored in that disk, so create an advanced backup of the important files. For customizing the disk layout, you can select either of these options, Autofit the disk, Edit disk layout, or Clone as the source.
- Click on the option Execute the operation and then click on Apply to begin the execution of the cloning process.
4. Remove the 0kb File
- This is one reason why the error might be happening. Check your PC for such files and delete them by following these steps:
- Press the key of the Windows logo and R together. Copy the text %ProgramFiles(x86)% and paste it. Click Enter.
- Navigate through and double-click on the option Steam, then on steam apps, and then common.
- Scroll down, and if you find a file of size 0kb, then delete it.
- Repeat the download/update step and check for the fixing of the error.
Besides, if you face the 0x80300024 Error While Installing Windows, here are the top solutions for you.
5. Remove the Log Corrupted Files
Sometimes files in the log go corrupt and then cause the Steam disk write error. Look for them and remove them by following these steps:
- Press the key of the Windows logo and R together. Copy the text %ProgramFiles(x86)% and paste it. Click Enter.
- Navigate through and double click on option Steam, then on logs, and then content_log.
- Scroll down and look for the error that you failed to write. If it is there, follow the location and name of it and delete it. If there is no such error, close the particular window.
- Now repeat the updation to see if the error is gone.
Also, let’s learn more about how to convert exFAT to FAT32 with ease.
6. Check the Game Files for Any Embedded Error
Sometimes your game files get corrupted during installation, or the antivirus software of your PC deletes them as false virus positives.
Thus, you need to check if such a problem exists and then fix the issue with the following steps:
- Go to the LIBRARY option on Steam.
- Right-click the game which has been behaving due to the Steam disk write error. Then click on the option Properties.
- Click on option LOCAL FILES and then on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…
- Wait for the cache verification of the game to finish.
- Close the Steam windows and exit Steam.
- Relaunch the Steam and repeat update/download the game. The errors must be gone.
7. Run the Flush Config to Fix the Steam Disk Write Error
This process can help in clearing the download cache and thereby fix the error. Follow the steps to do so:
- Completely exit Steam.
- Press the key of the Windows logo and R together. Copy the text steam://flushconfig and paste it into the box. Click OK.
- Confirm flush by pressing OK.
- Restart the PC.
- Press the key of the Windows logo and R together. Copy the text %ProgramFiles(x86)% and paste it. Click OK.
- Double-click the Steam folder.
- Locate the option Steam or Steam.exe and then double-click on it to launch.
- Update/Re-download the game and check for the sorting of the error issue.
8. Check the Firewall to Fix Steam Disk Write Error
Many a time, the problem lies with the firewall, which hinders Steam from connecting with its servers. This issue can be fixed with the help of any tech specialist support.
The test results will help you decide if to add an exception in the firewall for Steam to run properly without a steam disk write error.
9. Disable the Anti-virus Program on Your PC
The anti-virus program you installed on your PC can be the possible reason for the steam disk write error that your app might be suffering from.
A possible solution to this can be disabling the anti-virus temporarily and seeing if the problem goes away.
Another possible solution can be adding an exception for Steam in the configuration of the Anti-virus. For example, you can exclude the Steam library’s folders from the AV’s love monitoring function.
10. Lift Write Protection from the Disk
This issue can be one possible reason why the apps are suffering from errors. When the disks are write-protected, they happen to cause the Steam disk write error in the gaming files.
To remove the write protection from the disks, follow these steps:
- Press the key of the Windows logo on the keyboard. Then type cmd.
- Now right-click on the prompt Command and then click on the option run as administrator.
- Type the commands:
select disk # (# denotes the number of that hard drive that was getting the error message)
attributes disk clear read-only
Click on Enter after writing each of them.
- Close the window of the Command prompt.
- Re-plug the PC’s hard drive. Install/update the app once again to check if the error in the disk write has gone.
11. Set Full Control over the Folder Security of Steam
It sometimes happens that when you don’t have permission to run Steam, then a Steam disk writes error might occur in it. You need to gain full control through your user account.
Follow the steps given below to do so:
- Exit the Steam completely.
- Press the key of the Windows logo and R together. Copy the text %ProgramFiles(x86)% and paste it into the box. Click on the option, OK.
- Right-click on the Steam. Then click on the option Properties.
- Remove the tick in the box present before the option Read-only (Only applies to files in the folder).
- Click on the tab Security. Then click on Edit.
- Under the option Group or user names, click on the User Account. In the next window, check the box against the option Allow for Full Control.
- Now click on Apply. Click OK.
- Press the key of the Windows logo on the keyboard. Then type Steam. Now right-click on Steam and then click on the option Run as administrator.
- Once you are done with all these steps, the problem of disk write might get resolved fully.
Q: What if none of the methods mentioned above work?
A: If you’ve tried all the methods and the Steam Disk Write Error persists, consider reinstalling Steam. Remember to back up your game files and Steam library before proceeding with the reinstallation process.
Q: Can I move my Steam installation to a different disk?
A: Yes, Steam provides an option to move your entire installation to a different disk. This can be helpful if the disk where Steam is currently installed is experiencing issues. Refer to Steam’s official documentation for detailed instructions on how to move your Steam installation.
Q: Will reinstalling Steam delete my game saves?
A: Reinstalling Steam itself won’t delete your game saves, as they are typically stored in a separate location. However, it’s always a good idea to back up your game saves before performing any major changes to your Steam installation.
Q: How can I prevent the Steam Disk Write Error in the future?
A: To prevent the Disk Write Error from occurring, ensure that your disk has sufficient free space, keep your drivers up to date, and regularly scan your disk for errors. Additionally, configuring your antivirus software to exclude Steam from scans can help avoid potential conflicts.
Q: Can a failing hard drive cause the Steam Disk Write Error?
A: Yes, a failing or deteriorating hard drive can contribute to the Steam Disk Write Error. If you suspect that your hard drive is failing, it’s recommended to back up your important data and consider replacing the drive.
Q: Are there any third-party tools available to fix the Steam Disk Write Error?
A: While there are third-party tools available that claim to fix the Steam Disk Write Error, it’s advisable to exercise caution when using them. It’s always best to rely on official methods and trusted sources to resolve the issue.
So, this was a long list of all the tried and approved methods to troubleshoot the Steam disk write error. You must know the cause of the issue as it will enable you to apply the right solution.
We explored all the reasons for you and their appropriate fixes. We hope it helps you and does not forget to share your experience in the comment section.