DISM error 87 is an error you may experience with the Windows operating system.
In this article, we explain how to get rid of this error and use your PC normally.
But before we reach the solutions, let’s get an idea about the basics of the error.
An Introduction to DISM
Well, DISM error 87 is directly related to DISM. That said, DISM stands for Deployment Image Service and Management, a built-in component in Windows.
DISM was initially introduced with Windows 7 and Windows Server R2 versions. This service is there to perform servicing tasks related to the Windows installation image. Also, it works with online or offline images in folders or WIM files.
DISM can become available in the command-line interface or even in Windows PowerShell. DISM tool will update the files and fix problems whenever the Windows Image cannot work.
Nevertheless, when you run the DISM tool. You will see the DISM error 87 or other DISM errors. They can come with various numbers, including 2, 3, 1639, etc., with the text DISM on them.
When you see DISM error 87 or something similar, you cannot proceed. So, finding a solution to address this issue is compulsory for any Windows user.
What Can Trigger DISM Error 87?
If truth be told, there are multiple reasons behind this issue. Before we move forward, it is also better to look at those reasons. That will give you a better idea of the issue.
Besides, let’s figure out how to resolve the Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe.
01. There Is Something Wrong with the Command
This can be the most common reason for the DISM error 87. That means the issue can occur when the parameter is wrong.
In most situations, users forget to enter a space before the slash when the command is typed.
02. The Command Entered Doesn’t Run as an Elevated Prompt
The next common cause behind the DISM error 87 is that the command doesn’t run into an elevated prompt.
Users who run this command with a normal CMD window will notice the error 87 DISM.
03. The DISM Version used by the Machine Is Wrong
You may come across the DISM error 87 cases if you employ an incorrect version of DISM. This happens when applying a Windows 10 image. If that is the case, you can simply address this issue using the right DISM version.
Now that you know what may cause the DISM error 87. Let’s learn how to fix it.
If you are facing problems with Windows 10 PIN not working, here are the best fixes for you.
Fixing DISM Error 87
Basically, there are six ways to fix DISM error 87. In this section of our article, we will explain those solutions.
In the section below, we explain all those solutions in detail. You can read the instructions carefully and learn how to fix this issue for good. Please note that you don’t have to try all those solutions. Try them individually, and you can stop if one solution works.
Fix #1: Make use of the Correct Command
As mentioned in the above section, DISM error 87 can occur due to an incorrect command. For instance, assume that you have input the command without space before the slash (as mentioned below).
So, you should rectify the command to get rid of the error and use the PC back. In other words, you should type the right command. You should add the space before the slash; the correct commands are mentioned below.
After that, you can check and see if you encounter the DISM error 87.
For many individuals, this simple fix may work. However, if you don’t succeed with it, proceed to the next option without worrying.
Fix #2: Run the Command with Administrator Privileges
Some readers say that they encounter the DISM error 87 if they run the command without administrator privileges.
So, to rectify the DISM error 87 in your system, attempt to run the same command as the administrator. Mentioned below is how to do it.
- Enter the text CMD inside the search box of Windows 10. Then, you should select the best-matched option.
- Just right-click it and choose the option called Run as administrator to continue.
After running the CMD as an administrator, type the command to continue. Then, you should check whether the difficulty DISM error 87 is solved.
Fix #3: Use a Windows Update
The DISM error 87 could also be caused due to a pending Windows update. So, to get this error fixed, you will have to approve the potential Windows updates.
Mentioned below are the steps you should follow to Update Windows OS.
● Open Windows Update
- Press the “Windows” + “I” keys simultaneously to open Settings.
- In the appearing pop-up window, choose the option called “Update & Security” so you can proceed.
● Check for Available Updates.
- Once you see the respective pop-up window, just choose the Windows Update tab.
- After that, choose to Check for Updates to continue.
Important: When the Windows Update takes place, please remember that you will have to restart the PC.
Once the steps are finished, you’ll have to run CMD as an administrator. Then, input the same command to see whether the error 87 DISM is solved.
Fix #4: Use a System File Checker
You have a big chance of encountering DISM error 87 if there are corrupted system files. This is applicable for Windows 10/8/7. So, it is obvious that you should repair the corrupted files to address this issue.
Well, the good news is that Windows built-in tool System File Checker can be a good option. It can repair corrupted system files with ease.
To fix the corrupted system files, you should follow the steps mentioned below. These steps can be applied to Windows 7/8/10.
● Launch Command Prompt
- Enter the text “CMD” in the search box of Windows 10 and go for the best matching option.
- Now, right-click on it and go for the “Run as administrator” option to proceed.
● Enter the Command to Proceed
- Once the Command Line Interface appears, enter the command “sfc /scannow” and hit Enter to proceed.
- Be sure that you don’t close the respective windows until you see the message verification 100% completed.
After the steps, the corrupted files will be successfully repaired. Then open CMD with Administrator Privileges. Enter the same command again, and check whether the DISM error 87 is solved.
Important: Besides checking and repairing the potentially corrupted system files, it is better to check for bad sectors. If there are any, just repair them.
Fix #5: Use the Correct Version of DISM
Now, if none of the above solutions have worked for you, this is the next solution to try. In this solution, we’ll walk you through the fifth solution and get DISM error 87 repaired using the correct DISM.
Please note that you will have to run the Windows 10 version of DISM. This version requires the Wofadk.sys filter driver to function.
Important: Please note that the Wofadk.sys filter is stored in the Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kit. The required driver should be installed properly and configured with Windows 10 DISM. That is required when the command runs on an earlier version of the Windows host or Windows Preinstallation Environment.
In order to fix DISM error 87, use the Windows 10 Version of DISM with the wofadk.sys filter driver.
Once you have done that, reboot your computer and run the command prompt. Be sure to do it with administrator privileges again. After that, enter the command to see whether the DISM error 87 is fixed successfully.
Fix #6: Install Windows Once Again
If none of the above options have worked for you so far, this is the last resort to try. Installing a fresh copy of Windows will resolve all the issues associated with the operating system.
It will be fixed with Windows’s reinstallation as long as it is a software-related issue. However, the major downside associated with this method is that it causes data loss.
To avoid that, you should create a backup of all the important files. It is recommended to back up the files to an external hard drive, DVD, or USB storage.
Even if there is no error in the system, it is recommended to create a data backup regularly. That will prevent data losses due to potential crashes.
Things You Should Do After Fixing DISM Error 87
Now that you have fixed the “DISM error 87” error, it is useful to know the actions afterward. The best advice is that it is strongly recommended to make a system image.
As a result of doing it, you have the opportunity to restore your computer to an earlier (working) state. That would be handy if you experience the same issue.
Apart from that, it becomes handy if you encounter other issues associated with the OS. In that case, you can restore the computer to a state where it is working fine.
With that said, do you know the easiest way to create a system image? Well, the most effective and the best way in the market is to use ShadowMaker. This tool is presented by MiniTool.
MiniTool ShadowMaker is considered a piece of professional backup software specializing in backing up disks. It is exceptionally useful in creating backups of partitions, files, folders, and the OS.
In addition to the features mentioned above, it features a clone tool. Such a tool becomes very handy for cloning OS from HDD to SSD WITHOUT DATA LOSS.
So, with those numerous features, you may download MiniTool ShadowMaker through their official website.
If you have downloaded the software, you can read the following guide. In this guide, we explain the ways to create a backup of your PC.
● Open Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker
- First, you should MiniTool ShadowMaker and install it on the PC.
- Get it opened.
- Click on the option called “Keep Trial” to continue.
- Select the option called “Connect in This Computer” to proceed.
● Choose the Source to Create the Backup
- You will see that MiniTool ShadowMaker chooses the OS by default to be the backup source. So, there’s no need for you to choose the same option again.
- However, some like to choose the backup by themselves. If that is the case, you can select the backup source yourself without much trouble. You should go to the Backup page. Click on the “Source module” and choose Disk and Partitions to pick the system disk to continue. (If you want to copy files, choose Folders and Files instead).
● Select a Destination to Save the Backup
- After landing on the backup page, please click the Destination module so you can select a backup destination.
- You will find five available paths: Administrator, Libraries, Computer, Network, and Shared folder. We suggest you save the created backups on an external disk. That should be considered a precautionary method. So, all you should do is click Computer and choose an external disk drive. Then, click on ok to continue.
There are three important points;
- MiniTool ShadowMaker allows you to create backups daily. Just click the Schedule button, which is located at the bottom so that you can proceed.
- Besides the backup options, MiniTool ShadowMaker comes with three different backup schemes. Click Scheme and change the option.
- Moreover, you can configure some advanced backup parameters when creating a backup—for instance, encrypting backup files.
● Start Creating a Backup
- Once you have selected the backup source and destination, click Backup up Now to immediately perform the backup task.
- If not, click on the “Backup up Later” option and postpone the backup.
Once you have done that, you successfully create a system image. Thanks to this technique image, you’ll feel relaxed even if you experience DISM error 87.
It can be said that MiniTool ShadowMaker is a very effective and powerful tool. With this software, your PC and its data are safe.
- Make use of the correct command.
- Run the command with Administrator Privileges.
- Perform a Windows Update.
- Using a System File Checker.
- Use the correct version of DISM.
- Install Windows once again.
DISM is the abbreviation for Deployment Image Service and Management. It is a built-in Windows tool required to perform some services and prepare Windows images. That includes the web or offline image within a folder or WIM file.
It helps you mount and unmount images and query installed device drivers in an offline image. Also, it can help you in adding device drivers to offline images.
- Launch the command prompt with Administrator Privileges.
- Then, enter the command sfc /scannow. Then, you should hit Enter to continue.
- Wait for the process to be completed so the corrupted files will be repaired.
This article has explained the DISM and the possible reasons behind the DISM error 87. In addition, we walked through 6 solutions in this article to overcome DISM error 87.