Why can’t I follow people on Instagram? I am confused, and I don’t have any idea of what to do about it. Can a social media expert help me, please? Thanks in advance!
Are you reading this guide because you have the question, “why can’t I follow people on Instagram“? If yes, you can keep reading and learn what exactly has happened. Also, we will explain the possible reasons for such an issue.
More importantly, we will explain how to overcome that issue. So, let’s go ahead and learn what we can do about it.
Why Can’t I Follow Someone on Instagram?
Do you have no idea who you’re supposed to follow on Instagram? First, you are supposed to make sure there aren’t any technical issues. Installing the respective app on your device once again may be necessary.
You should keep in mind that Instagram also has a limit on the number of people you may follow. It may issue a ban on you temporarily for bot-like activity if you follow a lot of accounts simultaneously. On top of that, you will be unable to follow more than 7,500 individuals.
“Why I can’t follow on Instagram?” is a reasonable question to ask. Prior to this, everything worked well; however, the follow button on Instagram has now stopped functioning.
Is there anything wrong with you? Is there a problem with the software? Maybe! Continue reading to find out what went wrong and what can be done to correct the problem.
PS: if you wonder how to unfollow people on Facebook, these guides will help.
Why Can’t I Follow People on Instagram – Due to a Technical Error
There can be many technical errors that can prevent you from following someone on Instagram. These errors can range from pretty simple ones to rather complex ones. Mentioned below are those issues and the solutions you can try to fix them successfully.
01. There’s Something Wrong with the Internet Connection
First and foremost, you are supposed to check if the device has a proper internet connection. It’s obvious that you cannot follow someone on Instagram unless you have an internet connection.
With that said, if you have lost the connection, you should reconnect it to a good network. Also, if you experience an error with cellular data, switch to a Wi-Fi connection and give it a try.
On the other hand, if you are already on a Wi-Fi network; you should connect to your cellular data.
Also, let’s figure out how to fix the Instagram Reels not working.
02. The Instagram App Itself is Malfunctioning
There are several reasons for the Instagram app to malfunction. If you ever encounter this error with your mobile app, you can try to update it. Most probably, outdated apps can cause various errors.
So, if you wonder, “why can’t I follow people on Instagram” an outdated Instagram app can be the culprit. If not, before everything else, you should try restarting the app and see if it works.
If you cannot follow even after restarting the app, you can do one or all of the following.
First, you should log out of your Instagram app and log in to see if it works. For some users, this specific method should work. If not, you should try to link your Instagram account and Facebook account to fix this error.
If you cannot necessarily succeed after this method, you can simply reinstall the app. So, you should uninstall the app and reinstall it through the App Store once again. That should probably fix this error.
03. The Problem is Associated with Your Device
Sometimes, minor glitches on your device can cause various errors on different apps, and Instagram is no exception.
To verify that, you can try a different computer or a phone to log into your Instagram account. After that, you can check if you can follow the respective user. If it allows you to follow users, the problem is related to your device.
If the error is related to the device, you can perform a restart on it as the first solution. Thereafter, try to follow someone on Instagram and see if it works.
However, if that doesn’t work, you should check if your phone’s OS is outdated. If so, you should run an update on it to see what happens to find out Why Can’t Follow People on Instagram.
04. The Instagram Platform is Down
Do you still wonder “why I can’t follow on Instagram”? If so, that can be due to an error related to the Instagram platform itself. You can use a source like downdetector.ca and check the status of the Instagram platform.
If it is down, there’s nothing you can do from your end. All you can do is wait until they fix it from their (Instagram) end. Usually, such an issue doesn’t last too long. So, you can try it after 10-15 minutes.
05. You Cannot Follow Someone Due to a Policy Issue on Instagram
There are many instances in which you cannot necessarily follow someone due to a policy issue on Instagram. Mentioned below are some of those reasons that may prevent you from following other users. If you wonder Why can’t follow People on Instagram, just read on.
● You Have Already Followed 7500 Profiles
Instagram has some limits on individual profiles in terms of following other Instagram users. So, if you are already following 7500 users, you cannot necessarily follow any other user.
In that case, you will get an error message as well, saying that you cannot follow any new users. This feature was introduced by Instagram to prevent potential spamming actions. So, if you already follow 7500 users, that could be the reason.
● Instagram Suspects a Hacking Attempt on Your Profile
You can no longer follow any user if Instagram has applied any restriction on your profile. For instance, your profile will be locked or restricted if Instagram assumes a strange or unusual activity on it.
Some users tend to access their Instagram accounts from different devices connected to different IP addresses. In that case, Instagram might assume that there is some suspicious activity related to the account. This is particularly true if you are unable to pass the 2-factor authentication as well.
In that case, Instagram has enough reasons to restrict the actions pertaining to that account.
Well, we cannot blame Instagram for such an activity. If you ever notice something strange with the account activity, you should be cautious. Take all the necessary actions to prevent the potential risks.
For instance, you should change the password immediately after noticing such activity. To verify what exactly is going on with your account, you can monitor your account activities.
If You Don’t Know How to Do That, You May Follow the Steps That Are Mentioned Below.
- First, you should visit your profile.
- After that, you are supposed to tap on the three lines that are located in the top-right corner.
- Then, choose the option called “Settings.”
- Now, you should select the option called “Security” to proceed.
- Select the option called “Access Data” to move to the next step of this process.
- Now, you can select the option called “View All” so you can investigate what has happened in it. You can view all the activities by scrolling down the page.
● Your Instagram Account is Banned on a Temporary Basis
Do you still have doubts about “why I can’t follow people on Instagram”? If so, this could be a reason for it. Instagram blocks account for a short period of time when they break the rules. Actions like following others are forbidden for those who are affected. These restrictions are usually in place for a period of 24 to 48 hours.
Instagram forbids the use of bots to like, comment, or follow several accounts quickly. Instagram may mistakenly believe you’re employing a bot even if you’re not.
06. You Are Restricted Because of the Limits Imposed on “Instagram Following”
In fact, Instagram has a limit on the number of people you may follow. That means it restricts the profiles you can follow within an hour as well as the day.
The information related to this section is based on Digital Trailblazer’s documentation. That is because it hasn’t communicated these limitations to the general public.
To avoid a temporary suspension, gradually increase the account activity over time rather than all at once. In terms of configuring the “Instagram following” limitations, both following, as well as unfollowing, seem to be taken into account.
Follow or unfollow 100-150 accounts each day throughout your first week. To get to 700 to 1000 Instagram accounts every day, start with 25 daily followers per week. Never go above this limit, regardless of how long your account has been open.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mentioned below are some frequently asked questions that will explain more about this error.
- Q: How many accounts can I follow on Instagram?
- A: Instagram imposes a following limit for regular users. The exact number of accounts you can follow depends on various factors but is typically around 7,500.
- Q: How long do temporary restrictions on Instagram last?
- A: Temporary restrictions on Instagram typically last for a few hours or days. The duration may vary depending on the severity of the violation.
- Q: Can I follow a private account on Instagram?
- A: You can send a follow request to a private account on Instagram. If the account owner approves your request, you will be able to follow them.
- Q: Can I undo a report or block on Instagram?
- A: Once you report or block an account on Instagram, it cannot be undone. The platform restricts your ability to interact with that account permanently.
- Q: What should I do if I’m still unable to follow people on Instagram after trying the troubleshooting steps?
- A: If the issue persists after troubleshooting, you can reach out to Instagram support for further assistance.
Well, those are the reasons if you wonder, ‘Why Can’t I Follow People on Instagram’ or ‘why can’t I follow someone on Instagram.’ Hopefully, you can use the remedies mentioned above and fix your errors.