When you’re working with macOS, you may have encountered a prompt stating, “Accountsd wants to use the login keychain”. But what does this mean? And what should you do? In this article, we’ll explain what accountsd and keychain are, why this prompt appears, and how to handle it.
Introduction to Keychain
The Keychain is a password management system in macOS. It saves passwords, credit card details, and other secure information so you won’t need to remember all of them. Think of it like a virtual key holder: instead of carrying around a heavy set of keys, you carry one key that unlocks everything else.
What is Accountsd?
Accountsd is a part of macOS that manages online accounts. It deals with things like email accounts, iCloud, and other accounts used by different applications on your Mac. When Accountsd wants to use the login keychain, it’s because an application needs to access some information stored in the keychain.
Why Does Accountsd Want to Use the Login Keychain?
Basically, “Accountsd wants to use the login keychain” is an error message that appears on your computer screen. This message can frequently occur, preventing you from working smoothly.
According to this error message, Accountsd requires access to Login Keychain for your password. Whenever you click on it, a program or a service that requires access to your keychain will appear.
If this popup appears just a couple of times after restarting, that is ok. However, if the message tends to appear constantly, that would be a problem. In that case, that would be a huge disturbance to your regular work. So, you must find a way to fix it as soon as possible.
Fixing “Accountsd Wants to Use the Login Keychain” Error
There are 04 methods to solve the “Accountsd wants to use the login keychain” error, and we discuss them below. Please note that the methods are arranged, so the most basic ones are listed first.
The most effective methods are listed towards the end of the list. So, read the information carefully and pick the most appropriate option for you.
01. Turn off the “Keychain Auto-lock” Feature
As mentioned earlier, this is the most basic method of all. However, this method may be effective when it comes to solving the “Accountsd wants to use the login keychain”. Since it is so simple, you can give it a try in the first place. If it doesn’t work, you can try the other methods.
You should know that the auto-lock feature of the Mac is somewhat different compared to other computers. Assume that you’re using the device in an area like a library, mall, coffee shop, or similar public place. Also, assume that you will have to leave the device alone for some time.
When it comes to a Mac, it works in a more complex way than a screen lock. When you turn the device on, it will ask for the password once again. Well, this could be solved simply by changing the corresponding feature.
Mentioned Below Are the Steps.
- First, please go to the option called “Keychain Access Utility,” which is located under “Applications“.
- Then, you should perform a right-click on the option called “Login Keychain” as well. Then, you should choose the option labeled “Change Settings for……“.
- After that, you should navigate to two particular options in order to deactivate the auto-lock feature.
- It is possible to retain the settings. However, to get it done, you will have to visit the option called “Keychain Access Performance“.
- After doing that, you should go to the option called “General Section” as well. Thereafter, you should activate the option called “Show Keychain Status in the menu bar“.
- If you get this feature activated, you will be able to see the menu as a “Lock“. You can close or open that lock whenever it is required.
Besides, let’s learn more about how to fix the iPhone’s incorrect Wi-Fi password issue with ease.
02. Run “Keychain First Aid”
If “Accountsd wants to use the login keychain” is constantly appearing, you can use the Keychain First Aid tool. There are many individuals who were able to solve this issue through First Aid.
With that said, mentioned below are the steps to make use of “Keychain First Aid“.
- First, you should go to “Keychain Access Performance” and then go to the “First Aid” option.
- Now, when the new window appears, you should check the last three options in it.
- Now, you should go to the first aid panel simply by pressing the “Command” + “A” keys simultaneously.
- After that, you should launch First Aid verification as well, so it will fix the issue.
03. Get Rid of the iCloud Keychain
Do you use the iCloud Keychain feature? If that is the case, you must have used this feature specifically to synchronize the passwords between different devices. Therefore, it is possible to fix the respective issue simply by resetting the password of the iCloud keychain.
First, you should confirm that if you wish to get it done. Then, you must create and confirm the password once again. After that, the framework will include your keychain automatically. If you get it done correctly, the “Accountsd wants to use the login keychain” will be gone.
04. Reset Your Local Login Keychain
If none of the above options are working so far, you should use an alternate method to fix it. Well, this is a very simple method; all you need is to change the nearest (latest) login Keychain. Please follow up below guide to complete the process.
- First, you should launch the Keychain Access on the iOS device.
- After that, you should go to “Keychain Access Preferences“.
- Then, right-click on the option called “Reset My Default Keychain“.
- After doing it, you should confirm the respective command and wait for a while. That will ensure the procedure is finished.
One of the above methods may be able to fix the issue and get your device working once again.
It is true that it is a bit of a disaster if you come across this issue. Things can be worsened if you have forgotten the pattern or the password of the lock screen. When you don’t know the password, you are unable to get into your iOS device. However, the good news is that the tool we introduce in this section can fix it.
Tenorshare 4uKey – Password Manager is a smart tool that can find the passwords that are saved on your iOS device. In fact, it has a very powerful algorithm compared to other tools of its kind.
This special tool can easily find out your Wi-Fi passwords, login passwords, and other passwords you have used.
In a nutshell, this tool can find even your mail account password, Apple ID credentials, and credit card information. This tool works perfectly, even with the latest iOS versions.
Due to various reasons, this tool is recognized as the #1 iOS password finder in the industry.
For Your Information, Mentioned Below Are the Features of This Tool.
- It can easily find saved Wi-Fi passwords on iOS devices such as iPhone/iPad from PC/Mac.
- It can recover passwords you have entered on websites and apps to log in.
- To recover Screen Time Passcode.
- You can use it to view scan and view mail accounts and credit card information.
- It shows the Apple ID account on the device.
- Can even transfer passwords to other iOS password managers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Why does Accountsd keep wanting to use the login keychain?
Accountsd may repeatedly ask for Keychain access due to a software glitch or if the entered password is incorrect.
2. Is it safe to allow Accountsd to use the login keychain?
Yes, it is safe as Accountsd is a part of macOS that manages online accounts.
3. What happens if I deny access?
If you deny access, the application trying to access the keychain won’t be able to retrieve the necessary information, and it might not function correctly.
4. How often should I update my Keychain password?
It’s recommended to update your Keychain password regularly, perhaps every 3-6 months.
5. Can I disable the Keychain feature?
Yes, you can disable the Keychain feature, but you will need to manually enter passwords for applications and websites.
So, those are the methods we present to you to fix the “Accountsd wants to use the login keychain” issue. As we believe, at least one of the above methods will fix the error for good.
So, whenever you come across such an issue, just follow the steps mentioned above and get it fixed for good. Also, if you know better ways of fixing “Accountsd wants to use the login keychain,” comment them below.