Uninstalling chrome on Mac is not as easy as one might think. It is true that you can uninstall apps from your Mac simply by dragging them to the trash.
However, that’s not the case with Chrome. Continue reading & learn how to uninstall chrome on Mac without causing any issues.
There is no doubt that Chrome has become one of the most popular browsers among users today. This special browser is used on Macs as well.
However, due to some reason, some individuals want to know how to uninstall chrome on Mac. This article explains if you want to learn how to do it properly.
Method 1: Uninstalling Chrome on Mac using the Manual Method
Well, you can uninstall Chrome manually on a Mac if you need to do so. The good news is that uninstalling Chrome on Mac is not too complicated. But still, there are a couple of important steps to follow and remove Chrome and traces from the system.
Before starting the uninstallation process, you should quit the app if it is currently running. To do that, you can right-click on Chrome’s icon located on the Dock. Then, you should choose the option called “Quit.”
If not, you can even deactivate the app completely. To do that, you should just launch the option called “Activity Monitor.” Afterward, go to the processes and choose the option labeled “Quit Process” to quit the app.
Once you have done that, you can start uninstalling Chrome on Mac. You can use any of the methods mentioned below to manually remove Chrome from your Mac.
Option 01: Drag Chrome to Mac’s Trash
The most basic and simplest option is to drag the Chrome app to the Trash of the system. Well, if you need to know how to do it, follow the steps listed below.
- First, go to the “Finder” of your Mac.
- Now, you can see an option called “Applications” on the window’s sidebar.
- When you see the list, you should scroll it down and locate the folder named Chrome. Once you have done that, locate the icon that represents Chrome. Then, drag it to the Trash icon. If not, you can right-click on the respective icon and choose “Move to Trash.”
- As the last step, you will also have to right-click on the Trash. Then, you should choose the option labeled “Empty Trash.” As a result, Google Chrome will be uninstalled from your system.
Well, the drag-and-drop method mentioned above will work on all the MacOS versions. Also, it will work with many apps installed on your Mac. Since this option is easier to perform, you can try it even if you are a novice.
It will remove the app instantly from the system. However, this method has one drawback. In certain cases, this method may not remove all the components of the uninstalled app.
Option 02: Delete Chrome using Launchpad
Apart from the above method, you can also use the Launchpad feature to uninstall Chrome from your Mac. In this case, you will have to follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you should launch the option “Launchpad” on your Mac. Then, enter the text “Chrome” on the search box, which is located on top.
- After that, you should click and hold on to the Chrome icon. When you do that, you can see the respective icon is wiggling.
- As the final step, you should click on the icon with “X.” It can be seen on the left-hand side of the Chrome screen. Now, Google Chrome will be deleted from your Mac.
Do you use OS X Lion or a newer version? If so, there is another method of uninstalling Google Chrome on Mac. You can easily get rid of Google Chrome through the App Store.
Or, you can even click on the “X” button placed on the screen so the app will be uninstalled. None of these methods require you to remove potential residue on the system after the uninstallation.
PS: let’s figure out how to fix issues as Google Chrome keeps crashing effortlessly.
Deleting Potential Chrome Leftovers once the Manual Uninstallation Is Completed
Now that you have uninstalled Chrome on your MacOS using the manual method, one more step is remaining. When it comes to the manual uninstallation of an app on macOS, it is not a 100% completed process.
In fact, the OS might have some leftover components of the uninstalled app that can become an issue later. Just because the icon is not visible anymore in the “Applications” folder, the residue of the app can remain. So, if you want to remove the app completely from the OS, you should choose a different approach.
Well, in general, all the MacOS apps you install are designed to be self-contained packages. So they can be removed from the system without much complexity. However, they tend to leave multiple residual components even if the uninstallation process is completed.
Therefore, you should follow the manual approach to find those leftovers and remove them successfully from the system.
If You Want to Do It Manually, You Should Follow the Instructions That Are Mentioned Below.
- First, please go to the “Finder” and then click on the option “Menu Bar.” Afterward, you should choose the entry labeled “Go to Folder” to proceed to the next step.
- After that, enter the text “/Library” (without inverted commas) and hit the “Enter” key on the keyboard.
- Now, you are supposed to take a look at the folders that may contain Chrome files. To make it easier, we will list down those locations (folders) you should check.
- /Library/Application Support
- After that, please right-click on the respective file to see the options. Just choose the option “Move to Trash” so you can proceed.
- After that, you should type the path for the respective User Library as well. All you need is to open Home Folder and enter the command “~/Library” (without inverted commas). Then, hit enter to proceed.
- Now, you can locate all the files and folders that are related to Google Chrome. Just delete them all.
- Likewise, you should delete all the files and folders that are connected to Google Chrome. To finish the process, you should hit the “Trash Folder” option. As a result, you should see that all the files are removed from the system completely.
As you can notice, deleting the residue related to Chrome files requires some effort. The process is somewhat longer. This method is associated with some drawbacks as well. For instance, you can unintentionally delete other files instead of Chrome-related ones.
If you delete an important file on the system by mistake, that can lead to various errors and annoyances. Also, you may still leave some residue on some folders since the process is manual.
So, what’s the answer? In this case, the best option is to look for a software tool that can delete the residue automatically. The next section of our article explains an ideal solution to get rid of potential leftovers on your macOS.
Method 2: How to Uninstall Chrome on Mac using CleanMyMac with One-click Operation
As we mentioned in the previous segment, it is possible to uninstall Chrome on your Mac manually. However, the process looks somewhat challenging.
Also, it may leave some residue in the system and, more importantly, has the potential of deleting other files. Therefore, you should look for a professional, streamlined process to uninstall chrome on Mac.
There are several solutions to get this job done effectively. However, we consider CleanMyMac as the best option due to various reasons.
Well, now let’s learn how to uninstall chrome on Mac using this handy application. The process is very simple, but to make it even easier, we explain it in step-by-step mode.
Uninstall Chrome on Mac with CleanMyMac
- First, please download and launch CleanMyMac X.
- Then, click the Uninstaller option.
- Check the box next to Chrome.
- And then, tap Uninstall.
Then you will see how many service files are there, and this tool will remove all those items at once for you.
With CleanMyMac X, you are able to delete Chrome-related launch agents too, such as the Google Software Update agent, which will stay on your Mac even after you’ve reinstalled Chrome. To clean it:
- First, run CleanMyMac X.
- Then, please go to Optimization> Launch Agents.
- And now, select these Chrome relics and click Remove.
Also, let’s learn more about how to block adult websites in Google Chrome.
Well, there are several ways to get rid of Google Chrome, but the manual method has some drawbacks. It can either leave some components or, in the worst case, delete other files accidentally.
Therefore, using a tool like CleanMyMac is the best approach to uninstall an app on Mac. Did this guide answer your question “how to uninstall chrome on Mac“? Let us know your thoughts.