When Microsoft Word does not respond in the middle of a typing project, that can be maddening for any user. Well, if Word not responding on your PC, you are not the only one who experiences this issue.
In fact, there can be plenty of reasons for this issue. In most cases, those reasons are unknown. Regardless of the reason, we offer you the most practical solutions you can use here.
It is true that the issue appears to be pretty big, especially if you have not saved the file. But still, you don’t have to worry about it as we explain how to overcome the issue conveniently.
Part 1: Possible Reasons for “Microsoft Word Not Responding.”
Before looking at the solutions, we recommend you get an idea about the nature of the issue. In fact, knowing the reasons behind this issue can help you resolve the issue with a better understanding. That said, mentioned below are those reasons for this “Word not responding” issue.
- Before everything else, you should remember that the issue can arise as a result of outdated software. That means Microsoft Word can stop performing perfectly when it is not updated as expected. So, the chances are that “Word not responding” can occur due to outdated software. In fact, this could be the most common reason behind this issue.
- Next, the issue can appear due to incompatibilities between the OS and the software. For instance, if your existing OS is not compatible with the Microsoft Word version, that leads to various issues. And, Microsoft Word not responding could be one of those common errors.
- Various issues can trigger at least on an occasional basis when the drivers of the system aren’t updated. So, you should check the updated drivers as well.
- In addition to that, various add-ins included in your Word software can cause various issues. Word not responding could be one of the most common issues caused due to incompatible add-ins.
Part 2: Fixes to Try If Microsoft Word Not Responding
Now that you have a better understanding of the causes. Let’s take a look at the solutions. In this section, we explain several solutions to try and eliminate this issue easily. Please note that you don’t have to try all those methods. Instead, try one by one to find out which solution works to resolve the issue.
01. Launch MS Word in Safe Mode to Fix Microsoft Word Not Responding
Safe Mode is a lifesaver in various situations. You can use the Safe Mode for your Word application and try to fix the issue.
Well, when you launch MS Word in Safe Mode, all the third-party services will be disabled. Also, third-party applications will be disabled. So, you can launch Word in Safe Mode and see if it works perfectly.
Mentioned below are those steps to follow when your MS Word application doesn’t work.
- First, hit the Start key on the keyboard and search for the MS Word application. If not, you can use Windows and S keys simultaneously and find the MS Word program.
- Once you have done that, just hit the CTRL key while clicking on the Word Program. As a result, Word will launch in its Safe Mode.
- Then, you can check if your MS Word application is running properly without any issue. If the issue is persisting, you should go to the next solution.
You can follow the below-mentioned alternative steps to run the app in Safe Mode.
- Press both “Windows” and “R” keys at once and enter “CMD.” Then, hit enter to evoke the command prompt.
- Once the command prompt appears, you should enter the installation path of Word. After entering it, enter the line “winword.exe/safe” right after the path. As a result, you can open the Microsoft Word application in safe mode.
02. Use the Office Repair Tool to Fix the ‘Microsoft Word Not Responding’ Issue
This is another practical way to resolve this issue with ease. You can utilize this built-in tool called Office Repair to fix the error. This specific tool has shown effectiveness in resolving crashes and frozen Microsoft Word.
Mentioned below are the steps to repair your Microsoft Word through this tool.
- First, you should open the control panel of the computer. Then, please click on the option called “Programs.” After that, you should enter the text “Programs and Features.”
- Then, find the option called “Microsoft Office” from the appearing list.
- After that, you should click on the option called “Change” located on the top menu.
- Now, a different set of options will be displayed. You should choose the option called “Repair” and then click on “Continue.”
If you are using one of the latest versions of MS Office, you should choose the “Online Repair” option. Otherwise, you can even use the “Quick Repair” option and then go to the “Repair” option.
- Now, the repair will start, and you will see that the computer gets rebooted. After that, your MS Word application should work fine.
03. Driver Incompatibilities
Just like we have mentioned above, the device drivers can cause some errors like Microsoft Word not responding if you don’t update them. So, in this section, we explain how to update the drivers and make them compatible with the application.
- First, you should go to the Device Manager and choose the printer from it.
- Now, you should right-click on the printer drivers. After that, you should choose the option called “Uninstall.” If not, you can even choose the option called “Update Driver.”
- If you intend to uninstall the driver, just hit “OK” and then restart the computer. However, if you want to update the driver, just click on “Search Automatically for updated driver software.” Then, you should follow the prompts accordingly and complete the process. Once you have done that, restart the computer.
04. Disconnect the Network Drive to Fix ‘Microsoft Word Not Responding’
This is another solution to try if Responding. In this solution, you are required to disconnect the network drive. To do this, please follow the steps listed below.
- First, you should perform a double-click on “This PC.” Once the window is opened, you should go to “Map Network Drive” and choose the “Computer” tab. Choose the option called “Disconnect Network Drive.”
- Once you have done that, you should opt for the network drive, which should be disconnected. Then, you should click on the button labeled “OK.”
- Now, you will see a dialog box where you will have to confirm the actions. Just hit on the option called “Yes.” That’s it.
05. Disable Any Add-ins Installed in Word
Sometimes, the issue can be triggered due to one or more add-ins installed in your Word application. In this case, you should remove those steps and disable any of those add-ins.
Below is how to disable the add-ins to fix Microsoft Word not responding.
- To start the process, you should press the “Windows” and “R” keys simultaneously on the keyboard. Then, that will bring the run utility up. Once the run utility is launched, you should enter the text “winword.exe/a.” After that, you should hit “Enter,” so the MS word will open. When it is opened, you will not see any plugins.
- Now, go back to the “File” menu and choose “Options.” Then, choose “Add-ins” from its left panel.
- Now, you should hit the option called “Manage” and then choose “COM Add-ins.” After that, you should hit “Go.” Make sure that you deactivate the potentially troublesome apps. After that, you should hit “OK” and restart MS Word.
Part 3: What Can You Do to Repair Corrupted MS Word Files?
Because of the “Word not responding” error, the files you have been working on can get corrupted. If any important word files on your computer are damaged due to any reason, that’s a huge trouble.
However, you can use a powerful tool like Stellar Word Repair and get those corrupted files repaired easily. This special is known for its ability to repair MS Word files without even changing the original text too.
Steps to Repair the Corrupted Word Files using Stellar Word Repair
- As the first step, you should go to the official website of Stellar Word Repair. Then, download the installation file and install it on the computer. Then, launch the tool to see its main interface.
- Now, you can see an option called “Add File.” It is located in the “File” Ribbon. Click on it and choose the corrupted Word file you intend to repair and use.
- Now, you should choose the file using the buttons and choose the option called “Scan.”
- The selected Word file will be scanned by Stellar Word Repair now. Now, click on the option called “Save” after the file is scanned. You can find this ribbon in the “File“. Now, the file will be repaired.
Please note that you can go to the option called “Advanced Repair” located in the “File“. However, you should choose it if the file is corrupted severely.
So, that’s how to fix the “Microsoft Word not responding” issue.