Getting hacked on Discord can be a frustrating and scary experience. Your account may be used to spread spam, scam your friends, or cause other problems.
The good news is there are steps you can take to recover your compromised Discord account and secure it for the future. This comprehensive guide will walk you through exactly what to do, from dealing with the immediate effects of the hack to preventing it from happening again.
Immediate Actions To Take If You’re Hacked
If you believe your Discord account has been compromised, here are the first things you should do:
Inform Your Friends and Contacts
Let your Discord friends and contacts know that your account has been hacked. The attacker may use your account to spread malicious links or try to scam your connections.
Send them a message through another social media channel or platform to warn them. Tell them not to open any suspicious links or files sent from your hacked account.
Change Your Password
If you’re still able to access your Discord account, immediately change your password. This will log the attacker out and prevent further access.
To change your password:
- Open the Discord app or website and go to the Settings menu.
- Select “My Account“
- Click “Edit” next to your username.
- Choose “Change Password.”
- Enter a new, strong password and click “Done.”
Be sure to choose a password that is long, complex, and unique from passwords on your other accounts.
Enable Two-Factor Authentication
Two-factor authentication (2FA) adds an extra layer of security to your Discord account. With 2FA enabled, you’ll need to enter both your password and a special code generated on your phone when logging in.
To set up 2FA:
- In Discord, go to Settings > My Account.
- Click “Enable Two-Factor Auth.”
- Save your recovery codes in a secure place.
With 2FA on, even if someone has your password, they can’t access your account without the special codes from your phone.
Contact Your Bank
If you had a payment method connected to your Discord account, contact your bank or credit card company. Let them know your account was compromised.
Request that they monitor for and block any unauthorized charges. The hacker may try to purchase Discord Nitro subscriptions or send gifts using your card.
Hackers may try to access connected accounts like Facebook, Twitter, and Steam through your Discord.
Go to these accounts and change the passwords immediately. Then unlink them from your Discord to prevent further access.
Contact Discord Support
Discord has a support team that can help you recover your account. Send them a request explaining your account was hacked and provide any relevant details.
To contact support:
- Go to Discord’s Support Page.
- Select “Hacked Account” from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your email address and describe the problem. If unsure about your Discord ID, learn how to find it here.
- Click “Submit.”
Discord will review your request and contact you with further steps to regain access to your account. Be patient, as it may take some time depending on their workload.
Scan Your Computer For Malware
The hacker may have access to your computer as well as your Discord account. Scan your computer for malware, viruses, and keyloggers. These could be used to steal your passwords and information.
Recovering Your Hacked Discord Account
Once you’ve taken the immediate actions above, follow these steps to fully regain control of your compromised Discord account:
Reset Your Password
If you can still log in, resetting your password is the quickest way to shut the hacker out.
But if you’ve been completely locked out, use Discord’s password reset email option:
- Go to the Discord login page.
- Enter the email address or phone number for your account.
- Click “Forgot Password.”
- Follow the email link to create a new password.
Choose a strong, unique password this time and be sure to enable 2FA.
Submit an Account Recovery Request
If resetting your password doesn’t work, submit an account recovery request to Discord:
- Go to Discord’s Support Page.
- Select “Hacked Account” from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your email address and explain that you need to recover your account.
- Click “Submit.”
Discord support will contact you to confirm ownership of the account and restore access.
Provide any details they request, like creation date, early messages, server names, etc. Be patient as it can take some time to investigate.
Once you regain access, check your account connections under User Settings. Remove any unauthorized connections the hacker may have added, like new servers, friends, or linked accounts.
Revoke any outstanding join requests and leave any suspicious servers you were added to without consent.
Secure Your Account for the Future
Take steps to further lock down your account so it’s not vulnerable going forward:
- Use a password manager like LastPass or 1Password to keep track of unique, complex passwords for each account.
- Set up 2FA – For an extra layer of login security on top of your password.
- Scan regularly for malware – To catch any potential keyloggers or data stealers.
- Be cautious of links/files – Don’t download or open anything questionable.
- Review connections frequently – Remove any strange servers or friends.
Preventing Your Discord Account From Being Hacked
While no security is perfect, there are important steps you can take to avoid having your Discord compromised in the future:
Use Strong, Unique Passwords
Weak, reused passwords make your account an easy target for hackers. Use a password manager to generate and store strong, random passwords for each account.
- Are at least 12 characters long
- Use a mix of letters, numbers, and symbols
- Don’t contain dictionary words or personal info
- Aren’t used on any other accounts
Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
2FA requires both your password and a temporary code generated on your phone to log in. Activate 2FA under User Settings > My Account for enhanced security.
Be Cautious Clicking Links and Downloads
Malicious links and files are commonly used to spread malware or steal credentials. Never download or click anything sent from a stranger or unverified source.
Scan for Malware Frequently
Keyloggers and info-stealing malware help hackers access accounts. Scan your computer regularly with trusted antivirus software to remove any threats.
Review Connections and Permissions
Don’t join random Discord servers as they may be used for scams. Frequently check connected accounts under User Settings and revoke permissions for any unfamiliar services.
Use an Email Just for Discord
If your email is compromised, hackers can potentially reset your Discord password. Use a unique email for your Discord account so it’s not tied to other logins.
Avoid Account Sharing
Sharing your Discord login gives access to whoever you share it with. Never give out your username or password to others.
FAQs About Hacked Discord Accounts
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about dealing with a hacked Discord account:
How do I know if my Discord was hacked?
Signs of a hacked Discord account include:
- You’re suddenly logged out and can’t log back in
- Your password no longer works
- Suspicious messages being sent from your account
- Friends telling you they received strange links/files from you
- Payments or charges you didn’t make
- Unfamiliar server connections
If unsure about whether you have been blocked or hacked, see how to tell if someone blocked you on Discord.
Can I get my old Discord account back after being hacked?
In most cases, yes – Discord support can help you recover a hacked account if you can confirm you’re the rightful owner. Reset your password and go through the account recovery process.
What info will Discord need to verify I own the account?
Discord may ask for details like your account creation date, early messages/friends, badges, previous email/password, billing info, etc. Provide as many relevant details as possible.
What if I don’t have access to the email on my Discord account?
If your email was changed by the hacker, contact Discord explaining this and provide alt forms of verification. With proof, they can recover your account with a new email.
How long does it take Discord to help recover a hacked account?
It depends on their volume of requests, but expect it to take at least 1-2 days. Provide as much detail upfront to speed up the process. Follow up if you don’t hear back within a week.
Yes, Discord can reverse any charges or gifts made without your consent once your account is recovered. Contact their support team for help.
What should I do if someone is threatening to hack me?
Do not communicate further with them. Report their account and any messages immediately to Discord via their support page. Their threats may be empty, but take precautions like changing passwords.
Is there a way to lock my account if I think I’m being targeted?
You can temporarily deactivate your Discord account if you feel it may be at imminent risk. This can give you time to strengthen security before reactivating it.
Troubleshooting Other Discord Issues:
- If Discord is not opening, find solutions here.
- Facing no sound problems while streaming on Discord? Check this guide.
- Learn more about Discord’s rate limits.
- Discover how to add bots to Discord.
- Explore more about Discord Screen Share.
Key Takeaways for Securing Your Discord Account
- Immediately change your password and enable 2FA if hacked.
- Contact Discord support and your bank/credit card company if unauthorized access occurred.
- Scan for and remove any malware that could be stealing credentials.
- Use strong, unique passwords and a password manager.
- Don’t click suspicious links or downloads from unknown sources.
- Setup two-factor authentication for an added layer of security.
- Frequently review connected accounts and servers. Remove any that seem suspicious.
- Discord support can restore access if you provide proof of ownership.
- Take preventative measures like using a separate email to secure your account.
Recovering from a hacked Discord account may take some time and effort, but it is possible. By following this guide, you can get back into your account, reverse any damage, and secure it for the future. Don’t hesitate to contact Discord support if you run into any issues revoking the hacker’s access. Stay vigilant, and put measures in place to avoid becoming a victim again.