Many users have complained that they could not Airdrop their pictures, even after trying multiple times. This problem started to occur after they updated their phones to iOS 11.
Before we dive into the tips on troubleshooting the problem, let us help the user understand that they know how it works and whether their Airdrop not working is a genuine problem or is it an outcome of them not knowing the procedure.
Part 1. How Do You Use Airdrop?
Airdrop is an iOS feature that can be used between Macs and iOS devices. Many people do not use this feature as they do not know what they can do with it and how it works.
In the following steps, we will teach you the correct way of using it so you can benefit from it.
If you were an active user with difficulty with their Airdrop not working, then you can understand if it is a software problem or if you were not following the right steps.
Turning on Airdrop
- The first thing that you have to do is to open the Control Center by swiping it up on an unlocked screen.
- You will be able to see the Airdrop option on the Control Panel. Tap it.
- Now, you have to choose between the three options: off, contacts only, and everyone.
- Choose an option that you like.
By following these simple steps, you have turned on the Airdrop mode, so you can now receive or send photos.
How to Send Pictures
If you can exchange data without any problem, your Airdrop works. Otherwise, your Airdrop not working is a genuine problem.
- You will have to go to your Photos app and choose a picture you want to share.
- Click on the option to share.
- Now, click on the Airdrop logo, and all the devices next to you that have their Airdrop settings on will appear on the screen.
- Press send. The recipient of the picture will need to accept the request before he or she gets the picture. After they accept it, your transfer is complete.
How to Receive Pictures
If you can receive the pictures without any problem, then there is nothing wrong with your Airdrop, but if you cannot receive the data, then your Airdrop is not working complaint is genuine.
Part 2. Ways to Fix Airdrop Not Working Issue
If you are facing problems with your Airdrop feature, try using the following troubleshooting tips and see if the ‘Airdrop not working’ problem gets resolved.
Trying to force restart your phone is a good way to see if your Airdrop is working or not. Believe it or not, rebooting your iOS device tends to solve the problem 70% of the time, if not more.
Here is a way in which you could force restart your device t solve the Airdrop not working problem.
iPhone 7 or 7 Plus – You have to hold the sleep/wake button with the volume down button for about 10 seconds or until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
iPhone 6s or older – Press the Home Button and the sleep/wake button for about 10 seconds or until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
You will have to check whether your hotspot is on or not. This is because Airdrop and Personal Hotspot both need Wi-Fi to perform their respective tasks. This could cause a clash between the two, as Airdrop doesn’t work if you use a Personal Hotspot.
You could follow the steps below to turn off Hotspot so that the Airdrop feature could work. Otherwise, the Airdrop not working problem would continue.
- Go to Settings and open the option titled Cellular.
- Go to the option of Personal Hotspot and turn it off.
If you change the setting for Airdrop on your device, you could potentially make it work again. One of the reasons you cannot transfer files from your Mac to your iPhone or vice-versa is that your device is not visible.
You could solve this problem simply by changing the discoverability of the device by following the steps mentioned below. This is one of the reasons why the Airdrop not working was a problem.
- Swipe up on the bottom of the screen to bring up the Control Center. Click on the Airdrop option and choose one to make your device visible to them.
- Choosing everyone as an option is recommended as it is the most convenient. All the other Apple devices with the same nearby settings would pop up on your screen.
In order for the Airdrop feature to work flawlessly, it is important that both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on.
When the Airplane Mode is turned on, it basically cuts off all sorts of wireless networks and connectivity. This includes being connected to Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, which stops the Airdrop from working.
Turning off Airplane Mode – Swipe up on the bottom of the Control Center and click on Airplane Mode to turn it off.
Airdrop uses Bluetooth to determine and access the proximity of the two devices, while Wi-Fi is required to transfer the data. If only one is on while the other isn’t, then the Airdrop not working problem would continue.
Restart Wi-Fi and Bluetooth – Swipe upward to bring the Control Center, then press the icons for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth respectively to turn them off and then on again.
The data that you send and receive get logged into your iCloud account if you use Airdrop with people from your contact list.
You will have to ensure that either the email ID or the person’s mobile number is saved on your device.
If it is not, then it won’t show in the logs that you used Airdrop with the person. If you are Airdropping between devices that you own, then log into both accounts using the same ID and password.
If nothing else seems to be working, then trying to reset your network would be your last resort. Resetting the network setting basically takes all the settings back to default.
Any changes that you would have made in the settings will not work and will go back to what they were. You will have to customize some of the settings, such as Wi-Fi. This should solve the Airdrop not working problem.
- Open Settings and click on General
- Tap on Reset and then click on Reset Network Settings.
Some users complained that Airdrop was not working after they updated their devices to iOS 11.03 or iOS 11. 01. You could try and update it to iOS 11. 2 or above and see whether it solves the Airdrop not working problem or not.
- Go to Settings and then click on General.
- Go to Software Update and see if you have any updates that you can download.
If none of the tips mentioned above seemed to work, then there is probably some problem with the iOS of your device. The only way you could make the Airdrop issue go away is by using Foneazy TinyFix.
Foneazy TinyFix (supported by iOS 16 & iPadOS) Features
- This software can repair devices without causing any loss of data whatsoever.
- It can also fix many types of iOS issues like iMessage doesn’t say delivered, iPhone stuck in recovery mode, DFU mode, or the Apple logo
- The personal information that is stored on your phone is protected. It is also simple to use.
- It is compatible with various models like the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad.
Airdrop is a great feature that is introduced exclusively for Apple users. Although some users do face problems in using it, following the simple steps mentioned above could easily eliminate the problem of Airdrop not working.
After you have read the whole article, you will have a better idea of which method would work best for you.