Are you a Mac user and wondering how to get rid of junk files on it? If so, you are reading just the right article.
We have composed this article with all the required information about how to remove junk files effectively. So, read through the end and get your Mac optimized.
Deleting files in a timely manner is very important if you expect optimal performance from your Mac.
However, some novice Mac users wonder how to get rid of junk files properly. If you have the same type of question, you can choose any of the three methods we present.
An Introduction to Junk Files
Before we jump into the methods of removing junk files, let’s get an idea about junk files. Each and every application installed on your Mac has these junk files. They can be found in a specific folder.
Some of the junk files are temporary, and they appear and disappear pretty often within the system.
One of the major issues with junk files is that they can be invisible to regular users. As a result, they can grow into a huge pile, and your system will not use them again.
Like any other file in your Mac, junk files need some space to sit on. So, as the number increases, these junk files can easily accommodate a large space of your storage device. As you download files and install applications, the number of junk files can increase rapidly.
Sometimes, they may be present in the form of cache or temporary files in the system. Pretty often, for many users, locating and deleting these junk files have become a very serious challenge. Doing it manually can take a considerable amount of time and still deliver not-so-impressive results.
So, plenty of Mac users tend to rely on special applications that are developed to remove junk files. CleanMyMac is one of those applications that can remove junk on Mac files effectively.
And here is everything about how to defrag Mac for your reference.
Which Files Can Be Considered As Junk?
It is true that Mac developers are putting maximum effort into reducing the existence of junk files. Although many users are not aware of such a thing, Mac is working on it with great commitment.
Taking an individual junk file will consume only a small space, which is often negligible. Also, many users even aren’t aware of the existence of such files.
With that said, there are 12 types of junk files, and they are listed below.
- 01. App cache files
- 02. Log files
- 03. language files
- 04. Broken login items
- 05. Duplicate files
- 06. Browser cache
- 07. Development waste
- 08. Universal binaries
- 09. Trash files
- 10. Old downloads
- 11. Old backups
- 12. Remnant data
Each of the above categories exists for various different purposes. Regardless of the purpose, over time, these files can become problematic. Therefore, it is important to know how to get rid of junk files on your Mac.
Many individuals consider junk files to be very innocent. As long as you have a couple of junk files, that is completely OK. But junk files exist in bulks, which can lead to various other annoyances listed below.
01. They Occupy Your Disk Space
One of the main issues you will experience as a result of junk files is that they consume space. Your disk space is a precious thing. If you haven’t cleaned junk files for a long time, they may occupy considerable space on your disk.
02. They Slow Down Your System
When there are too many junk files, your device will start to run slowly, and it will become annoying. As a result, the system will take too long to open programs and find files.
So, if you clean junk files properly in a timely manner, you can free up disk space. In addition to that, you can make your Mac run faster.
How to Remove Junk Files on Your Mac?
As we mentioned before, there are several ways to remove junk files on your Mac. We intend to explain about three of those methods. You can choose any of those methods, depending on your preference.
Method 01: How to Get Rid of Junk Files on Your Mac Using CleanMyMac
Under method 01, we reveal the most efficient and reliable method to remove junk files on your Mac.
This powerful app is capable of removing all the junk files easily and optimizing your Mac. Thanks to the advanced features and smart algorithm, it can resolve all the troubles related to Mac files.
How to Use CleanMyMac and Clean Your Mac
One of the most notable benefits associated with CleanMyMac is its user-friendliness. That means this software comes with an exceptionally convenient user interface for the benefit of the user. You don’t need to be a Mac expert to make use of this app.
Mentioned below are the steps to follow so you can get rid of junk files.
- Please download and launch CleanMyMac X here.
- Then, select the System Junk option on the left.
- Please tap on Scan.
- Once the scan is completed, tap on the Review Details.
- Please check the boxes opposite User Cache Files, Language Files, System Cache Files, and other items you would like to delete.
Now your Mac is as good as new! CleanMyMac X deletes junk files, including user cache, system logs, downloads, and even Xcode junk files to speed up your Mac and free it from clutter.
Also, let’s see how to stop the spinning wheel on Mac.
Method 02: Remove Junk Files on Mac Using a Manual Method
In fact, there are eight manual ways to consider if you want to remove junk files from your Mac. Although these methods are free, they have some drawbacks as well.
For instance, they take a considerably longer time to remove junk files. But if you are still interested in those methods, we list them for you.
01. Clean the Cache and Temporary Files of Your Mac
You should know that both cache and temporary files take considerable space. By deleting them, you can reacquire that space. Mentioned below are the steps.
- First, click on Finder and choose ‘Go.’ Then, locate the option ‘Go to Finder.’ You can access the same folder using the ‘Shift + CMD + G‘ keyboard shortcuts.
- When you are in the ‘Go to‘ Folder, enter: ~/Library/Caches.
- Then, press CMD + A and select all the contents in the respective folder.
- After that, drag and drop them into the cache folder.
- If you need to delete files from multiple folders, you should repeat the process accordingly.
02. Delete Duplicate Files on Your Mac
Duplicated files are another huge issue because they take up plenty of space in your Mac. If you can remove them, you can free up considerable space.
Below is a guide on getting rid of those duplicate files.
- Go to Finder.
- Choose the option New Smart Folder from the menu.
- Locate the plus button on the corner. Then, choose search parameters depending on the convenience (size, name, etc.).
- Take a look at the size of the files and identify the duplicates.
- After finding the duplicates, click on them and delete them.
03. Delete the Disk Images That Aren’t Necessary Anymore.
There can be some unused, unwanted disk images in the Downloads folder of the Mac. Despite their large size, these disk images are also recognized as junk files. You can delete them without having any worries whatsoever.
Mentioned below are the steps to do it.
- Locate the ‘Finder‘ and go to the ‘Download‘ folder.
- Then, key in ‘disk image‘ in the search box.
- Delete all the DMG files you found under the search results.
04. Get Rid of the Log Files
Here are the steps to be taken to clear the log files.
- Go to ‘Finder‘ and choose ‘Go.’
- Then choose ‘Go To Folder.’
- Type in “~/Library/logs” and open the folder by hitting the enter key.
- Select everything that needs to be deleted and hit CMD + Backspace keys.
- After deleting the log files, delete them from Trash as well.
- Restart the Mac.
05. Clean the Language Tools That Aren’t Necessary Anymore
Any application you install on your Mac comes with some language files, as well. Since most of us use only one language, the other language files aren’t necessary.
So, the other language files can be deleted, and you get some free space on your Mac.
Here’s how to do it.
- Go to the ‘Resource‘ folder.
- Choose all the files that come with the extension .lproj.
- Every folder you see comes with language files.
- Delete the language files you don’t want.
- Be careful that you don’t delete the files you require.
06. Delete the System Files
This is a very sensitive task that should be handled with care. If you do it wrong, it will even cause system errors.
Also, you must open multiple folders to delete the contents. That is because you cannot delete those folders. The best thing is to copy the folders to another place and get rid of them.
07. Get Rid of the Unused Apps
If you have installed plenty of apps, you are likely to experience some slowness on your Mac. Go through the list of programs you have opened and determine the obsolete apps.
Many users have unused apps in their systems. So, it is always better to analyze your computer and remove the apps that are no longer required.
Mentioned below are the steps to do it.
- Go to ‘Finder.’
- Then, go to the ‘/Applications‘ folder and choose the apps you need to get rid of.
- Then, drag and drop the files into Trash. If not, you can right-click and choose ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
08. Clean Your Desktop and Trash
Some individuals tend to keep a large number of files on their desktops always. Also, they don’t clean Trash at least once in a while.
Over time, this can be a problem, so make sure you clean both of those regularly.
Also read: Avast Cleanup Review | Is Avast Cleanup Premium Worth It?
Method 03: Delete Junk Files using a Built-in Utility
The third and last method we explain is using a built-in utility in the Mac system. Your Mac computer comes with several utilities, and you can use them to delete junk files.
For those who want to know how to remove junk files, this method can be very handy.
- Hit both CMD + Spacebar keys, and you will see a spotlight search field.
- Type the text ‘activity monitor‘ and choose it.
- Check for the junk files that consume plenty of memory and delete them.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How often should I clean junk files?
It depends on your device usage. If you use your device heavily, weekly cleanups may be necessary. For lighter usage, a monthly cleanup should suffice.
2. Can deleting junk files harm my device?
No, junk files are typically safe to delete. However, always ensure that the files you are deleting are indeed junk files and not essential system files.
3. Are cleaning software safe?
Most cleaning software from reputable sources are safe. However, be careful of free software that may contain ads or malware. Always download software from trusted sources.
4. Why do junk files accumulate?
Junk files are a byproduct of normal system operation. They can be leftover files from updates, temporary files, or cache files from web browsing.
5. Can I prevent the creation of junk files?
Not entirely, as junk files are a normal part of system operations. However, regular maintenance and mindful usage of your device can help manage them.
As you know, junk files are a big problem if you don’t manage them properly.
They can fill up your disks gradually and eventually cause various issues. So, knowing how to remove junk files is compulsory for any user.
This article presents three methods for those who wonder how to get rid of junk files.
Of all those methods, we highly recommend the tool called CleanMyMac due to obvious reasons. You can share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.