Computer error codes are irritable, to say the least. Many of them are easily fixed and not too inconvenient, but often, users will see errors like 0xc00d36c4.
This is tedious to repair and interferes with the simplest of video viewing features. What this error does can vary and depends on the context in which it appears.
Sometimes users encounter this particular code when they attempt to transfer video files between storage mediums. Other times it will pop up when specific video files are opened.
The bottom line is that video codes are flexible and can randomly occur without good reason. This post will discuss 0xc00d36c4 in-depth, and based on our thorough research, we’ll show you the best way to fix the error.
Why You Might See 0xc00d36c4
Like all video file errors, this error code means that Windows can’t read the file’s contents. Corruption is just one example of what could cause this code, but as a very broad problem, diagnosing it can be a difficult task.
A few examples of what could be causing it are:
- Corrupt Video File. We can quickly make corruption a prime suspect at the root of every video error. Causing this could be a virus infection, faulty file transfers, or partition issues. Minor corruption can be fixed, although more intense corruption is less successful. Either way, corrupt videos don’t like to open properly.
- Missing Video Frames. If a video is missing frames, then media players find themselves struggling to play the video. How the media player reacts will depend on the player you use. Some players refuse to open the file at all, whereas others will play the video up until the missing frame.
- Unsupported Format. Users are only able to open certain formats on specific systems. The majority of computers support MP4, hence why it’s so popular. Less common video formats don’t have as widespread compatibility.
To add to what we said before, this error code is more common with MP4 video files than in other formats.
That doesn’t mean other types of videos aren’t going to encounter it, though. It means that videos that users record through a GoPro and most smartphones are at a greater risk.
So, that’s what you need to understand regarding 0xc00d36c4. The big question to answer now is what can be done to fix it.
PS: here are the best solutions for the 0xc0000005 error for your further reading.
Best Fix – Stellar Video Repair
Deleting corrupt videos may often be the only viable solution. Unfortunately, some files are so corrupt that reparation simply isn’t possible.
The chances are that when you notice the 0xc00d36c4 error code, though, you don’t have to worry about corruption, as this is rarely the core of the problem.
Repairing a video that displays this error code (among many others) is possible with the right tools. In this case, Stellar Video Repair is the ideal software for repairing problematic video files.
- Repair videos that don’t open, display error codes, or have corrupt headers
- Repair errors or corrupt sections of the audio track
- Queue multiple videos to be repaired simultaneously
- Fixes issues with common video formats like MP4, MPEG, WAV, MKV, MOV, AVI, and more
- Repair problems with a video’s frames (e.g., missing frames or corruption)
- Repairs and removes common error codes, including 0xc00d36c4
- Can repair video files on either Windows or macOS computers
- Repairs videos of any resolution up to 4K
Buying software isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, so we can appreciate that you probably don’t want to take out your wallet just yet. A free trial version of Stellar Video Repair Tool can be found on their site. Understand that free version will present more limits than the full version.
Overall, this is an outstanding tool that we have found to be great at repairing and restoring files that don’t open properly.
Also, if you wonder how to unblur a video, here is a detailed guide.
Repair 0xc00d36c4 with Stellar Video Repair Tool
The free and paid versions of the Video Repair Tool work in the same way. So, when you need to repair a video file, whatever file format it is, here are the steps you must follow when using Video Repair Tool:
- Step #1 – Download a copy of the Video Repair Tool and install it on your computer. Buying a license is not necessary, although it can be beneficial.
- Step #2 – Launch the repair program. From the main menu that appears, click on “Repair Video” to begin the process.
- Step #3 – On the following screen, you can add any videos for repair. Press the “Add” button and use the pop-out window to choose the videos resulting in error codes.
- Step #4 – After adding all of the videos you intend to repair with this program, click “Repair.”
Note: Before you begin the repair, you can optionally select one of the videos and click “Preview” to double-check that it is the correct file.
- Step #5 – During the repair, you can track the entire process’s progression and individual videos.
- Step #6 – After the Video Repair Tool completes the video reparations, click “Save” and choose a folder to save the new video files.
Now you can view those new video files and watch each to discover if the 0xc00d36c4 error is still happening.
Rarely this won’t work, so hopefully, your videos are error-free! If not, severe corruption is one possibility, and there aren’t many optimal solutions.
Can I Recover Lost Videos?
Let’s move on and consider the fact that, in some cases, repairing an error code is impossible. Hope is all but gone because what you can try instead is recovering the video file. There are a few different angles to this.
First, we must consider the storage device we are using. USB drives, for example, are more friendly for data recovery than DVDs are. Nonetheless, where do we begin? We start by using Wondershare Recoverit.
- Recover virtually any filetypes (videos and many others)
- Restores lost files from any storage device
- Previews the selected device’s contents to allow for selective recovery
- Provides a selection of data recovery modes for different situations
- Enables recovery of corrupt, infected, or lost files
- Navigable scanning results so that users can easily find specific files
So if you grab a copy of Recoverit as a second-line solution for 0xc00d36c4, that won’t be the only time you’ll use it. This software is perfect for virtually every data loss situation, and for that single reason, we recommend using it.
Steps to Recover Videos with Recoverit
To use Wondershare Recoverit, you’ll need to install a software solution on your computer. In addition, you will decide to use the free trial or purchase a license. Ideally, the latter should be used, but either way, this is how to use it:
- Step #1 – Launch Recoverit once you install it and connect to whichever storage device your video is stored on.
- Step #2 – When you see the Recoverit main menu, there will be different recovery modes. This guide will focus on using “Deleted Files Recovery.”
- Step #3 – The storage devices that Recoverit has detected will be listed. Select the correct device and click on “Start” to continue.
- Step #4 – A short scan will commence. If you’re scanning a large hard drive, then this will, of course, take a while for Recoverit to scan fully.
- Step #5 – After the scan finishes, there will be a list of files on your screen. Using the directory menu on the left, find the folder containing the video.
- Step #6 – Select the video with the error code or multiple videos. Click on “Recover” and choose an appropriate recovery destination folder.
One precaution is not to recover the video in the same place it currently is. This could lead to further problems and leave the original file corrupt forever.
How this works does seem rather confusing. Error code 0xc00d36c4 can arise from missing or corrupt video frames.
If that’s the problem, then recovering the original file will often help. So if Video Repair Tool wasn’t delivering and didn’t resolve the error, try Recoverit instead.
And click here to fix the audio format EAC3 not supported issue.
If you try both software solutions to fix the 0xc00d36c4 video error code, the chances of a full recovery are as high as they could be.
Some videos are beyond repair. It won’t matter how much effort you put into repairing them or which tools you use.
You can’t repair videos like that, so if neither Stellar Video Repair nor Recoverit is effective, repairing is likely a lost cause. Hopefully, this isn’t the case, and you will find that one of the software solutions above gets you positive results!