0x80246007 error is something that can annoy any Windows user. This specific error can appear when you download Windows 10 versions.
Although it is so annoying, you will be able to fix that issue with a couple of simple fixes. The purpose of this article is to explain those fixes to our readers.
Every one of us prefers to use the latest Windows OS build for many obvious reasons.
However, some users cannot download the most recent updates on their computers due to some issues. The update will be put on hold and display an error message stating a specific code “0x80246007“.
If you have faced such an issue and wonder how to fix it, you can keep reading. The remainder of this article will explain how to overcome error 0x80246007 and let you install the updates.
Solutions to Fix Error 0x80246007
There are several solutions to fix the 0x80246007 error on your computer. For your convenience, we intend to explain these fixes in the simplest possible manner.
So, even if you are a beginner, you can try these solutions to overcome such an error.
Also, you don’t have to try all those fixes; instead, you may start from the first solution and go to the others if needed.
PS: if you are experiencing the issues like Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error on Windows, here are the top solutions for you.
Solution 1: Double-check Your Virus Guard
The first solution to try is to check your virus guard. Many users experience 0x80246007 errors due to the way the virus guard functions.
Even though your antivirus program is designed to protect your computer, it can have some consequences.
Sometimes, your antivirus might prevent some essential system files from operating properly. Some of your antivirus programs might fail to work in collaboration with your Windows OS. That might end up causing various errors in your system.
Some antivirus programs are prone to show this error more frequently than others. For instance, McAfee is one of those virus guards contributing more frequently to this error.
So, the most impressive way to address this issue is to disable the respective antivirus program. If you use a different program, you should disable that and check if a 0x80246007 error appears.
For many users, however, the error might disappear after disabling the antivirus program. However, if that doesn’t work, you should try uninstalling the antivirus program. So, if the error 0x80246007 has any link to your antivirus, it should be gone by now.
But if that doesn’t work, the error has nothing to do with the virus guard. In that case, you will have to try a different solution mentioned below.
Solution 2: Use Troubleshooter
If the previous solution didn’t work for you, try this one. In this case, you should try the troubleshooting provided by default for the Windows update.
That will fix your 0x80246007 error without needing the assistance of a third-party tool.
If you don’t know how to do that, you can read the below steps.
01. First, you should hit the Windows key along with the “I” key to launch the “Settings” app.
02. After that, you should choose the “Update and Security” option. Then, you’ll see an option called “Troubleshoot” in the left panel.
03. As the next step, please click on “Windows Update,” which is located on the right-hand side. Then, you should run the option that says “Run the troubleshooter” to proceed.
04. You can now follow on-screen instructions and complete the process.
05. After completing the troubleshooting process, you can perform a reboot on your PC. That will refresh the settings and apply the changes made. Then, you can check if the error persists. If you still notice the error, you can try the next solution.
Also, if you are experiencing the 0x80070426 error for Windows Update, here are the top fixes.
Solution 3: Check Your Firewall
Windows 10 has a default firewall to protect you from various online and network threats. By default, they offer options to enable or disable this firewall. You can switch the firewall on or off based on your requirement.
In some cases, you might need to have it disabled. If that’s the case, you will not be able to run the update properly on your Windows system.
So, just check if you have turned off the firewall on your Windows 10 system. If it does, you should go ahead and enable it to proceed.
Those who don’t know how to do it can follow the below steps.
01. First, you should simultaneously press the “Windows” and “R” keys. That will bring the “Run” utility up.
02. Now, you should enter the text called “services.msc” in the given space to proceed with the solution. After that, hit “OK“, which will open the option called “Services” in a different window.
03. Now, you should see several options. You should locate the option called “Windows Defender Firewall” located among that. Then, you should see if the firewall is disabled or not. If it is already enabled, you can leave it as it is. If not, you should enable it. To do that, you should perform right-click on it and select the option called “Start“.
04. Now, you should close the window labeled “Services.”
05. Perform a reboot on the respective computer and see if it is fixed.
Solution 4: Run BITS Automatically
If you are yet to succeed, you can also try this method to fix Error 0x80246007. All you need is to set your system’s BITS services to run automatically. That will probably fix this error.
If you are unaware of how to perform this process, you should follow the steps below.
01. As the first step, you should launch “Services.” Then, you should locate the “Background Intelligent Transfer Services” option. It is also known as BITS.
02. You can now right-click on the BITS option to see the properties. Then, please choose the option called “Properties” to proceed.
03. When you are in the next window, you should go to the “General” tab. After that, you should choose Automatic (Delayed Start), located under “Startup Type.” Then, just click on the option labeled “Start.” After that, just click on “Apply.” Then, hit “OK” so your changes will be saved.
04. You can now close the window labeled “Services.” After that, you can see if the error is gone.
Solution 5: Use a File Called Repair.bat
If none of the above options have worked for you, there is another solution to try. Well, this is a pretty tricky method you should try, but we will make it easier for you. The step-by-step methods mentioned below will guide you.
01. First, you should open a notepad on your PC. After that, you should enter the following set of commands into it. If you cannot type it, you can easily copy and paste it to proceed.
net stop wuauserv
ren Download Download.old
net start wuauserv
net stop bits
net start bits
If not, you can create a notepad using the below set of commands to achieve the same result.
net stop wuauserv
ren Download Download.old
net start wuauserv
net stop bits
net start bits
net stop cryptsvc
ren catroot2 catroot2old
net start cryptsvc
02. After creating the above commands, you should click on the option “File.” Then, you should select the option called “Save As.” Then, you should enter the file name as Repair.bat. After that, in the “Save as type,” you should select “All Files.” Then, save that bat file on the desktop.
03. Now, locate the Repair.bat file on your desktop and perform right-click on it. Then, please choose “Run as administrator.” If prompted, you should provide the admin password. Otherwise, you can simply click “Continue” to complete the process.
04. Now, you should try to install the update once again. If you succeed, you can delete that .bat file.
Important: Please note that if nothing has worked so far, you have two more solutions to try. Clean booting and system restoration are the solutions you can try.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
FAQ 1: What is Error 0x80246007 on Windows?
Error 0x80246007 is a Windows Update error that occurs when the system fails to install or update specific components. It can be caused by various factors such as corrupt system files, network issues, or problems with Windows Update settings.
FAQ 2: How can I fix Error 0x80246007 on Windows?
To fix Error 0x80246007 on Windows, you can try the following methods:
- Restart your computer.
- Check your internet connection.
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Reset the Windows Update components.
- Temporarily disable antivirus or firewall.
- Perform a system file check.
- Check your disk for errors.
- Update Windows manually.
FAQ 3: Will resetting Windows Update components delete my data?
No, resetting the Windows Update components will not delete your data. It only resets the configuration files related to Windows Update and can help resolve issues with the update process.
FAQ 4: Can third-party antivirus software cause Error 0x80246007?
Yes, third-party antivirus software can sometimes interfere with Windows Update and cause Error 0x80246007. Temporarily disabling the antivirus software or configuring it to allow Windows Update can help resolve the issue.
FAQ 5: How often should I update Windows?
Regularly updating Windows is essential to ensure that your system remains secure and up to date with the latest features and bug fixes. It is recommended to enable automatic updates or manually check for updates at least once a month.
FAQ 6: What if none of the methods work to fix Error 0x80246007?
If none of the methods mentioned in this article work to fix Error 0x80246007, it is advisable to seek further assistance from Microsoft Support or consult with a professional technician who specializes in Windows troubleshooting. They will be able to provide personalized solutions based on your specific system configuration and diagnose any underlying issues that may be causing the error.
Dealing with Windows errors can be frustrating, but with the right methods and troubleshooting steps, you can easily fix Error 0x80246007 on Windows. In this article, we have explored various techniques to resolve this error effortlessly.
Remember to restart your computer, check your internet connection, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, reset Windows Update components, disable antivirus or firewall temporarily, perform a system file check, and check your disk for errors.
If all else fails, consider updating Windows manually or seeking professional assistance. By following these steps, you can ensure a smooth and error-free Windows experience.