If you intend to learn how to use Plex Media Server, this is the article you were looking for.
At the end of this article, you will learn how to use Plex on Roku and other useful information. So, read on!
TV entertainment has become incredibly popular across the globe. Over the past decade, the concept of watching TV has been revitalized with the introduction of media server software.
Through these software tools, you can transform your ordinary TV into a vibrant source of entertainment. That said, Plex is one of the industry’s most powerful, enriched, and exciting media servers.
Through Plex, you can convert your network area storage device or computer into an endless source of entertainment. It lets you stream content from TV shows to home videos and movies. Plex works on devices such as your Smart TV, Home Network, Laptop, Tablet, Phablet, Smartphone, etc.
Whatever devices with the internet will be compatible with Plex, which means streaming devices, web browsers, gaming consoles, and similar devices will play Plex perfectly.
So, it is possible to play Plex on Roku without any hassle. Roku is an ideal device for a media server platform like Plex to function. This article will explain how to use the Plex media server on your Roku device and enjoy it.
Features of Plex
Now, let’s take a quick look at the most notable features associated with Plex.
Live TV and DVR Facility
You can use Plex with a compatible device and a digital antenna. By doing so, you can watch and record all the local broadcast content. After recording the content in your library, you can access them from anywhere.
With a Plex account, you can easily control the contents your family can access. This is a convenient feature, particularly when you need to protect kids from watching inappropriate content.
You can apply restrictions based on the ratings or even other specific aspects. If you go for a single Plex Pass for your home, your family members can enjoy it big time.
Premium Libraries of Music
Plex offers you a massive range of music under its premium library. Their library is enriched with plenty of music from various artists. They have music of all genres. Also, they offer you artist bios, lyrics, etc.
Synchronization with Mobile devices
Thanks to the synchronization feature associated with Plex, you can enjoy it even when you are on the go. Whether you are in the park or going on your vacation trip, Plex will be with you. All you have to do is to synchronize your Plex account with your mobile device.
The contents you prefer would then be loaded into the tablet or the smartphone. You don’t necessarily need an internet connection to play the synchronized content.
You can synchronize the photos stored on your phone to the Plex Media Server if necessary. More importantly, you can do it wirelessly.
This feature lets you share your favorite apps with anyone you wish. Such an approach can also be handy for keeping your phone’s storage free.
Streaming with Hardware Acceleration
You will stream content using hardware acceleration if you have a compatible device with Plex Media Server. Such a feature can be convenient when converting content while streaming.
Besides, there are plenty of other features associated with Plex. Previewing releases, free access to other Plex apps, etc., are some of those features for your reference.
Using Plex on Roku
From this point onwards, we will explain the step-by-step process of installing Plex on the Roku device.
The obvious first step to using Plex on Roku is downloading the media server. If you haven’t yet downloaded it, go to Plex’s official website and download it.
Once you reach the download page on Plex, you can see various versions of it to match different devices. Plex media server will automatically organize all the media contents within the device after installation.
For instance, if you install it on your PC or laptop, the media content will be organized. Plex works on Windows, Linux, Mac, and even various NAS. To start enjoying the services, you will also have to create an account.
Depending on your requirement, you can select a free or paid plan. We have realized that Plex’s free plan is good enough for most users. Even the paid plan doesn’t cost that much.
That means the monthly cost of Plex’s premium plan is $4.99. For that price, you get the chance to use multiple users and even the cloud storage feature.
After the installation process, you will be able to use Plex on the Roku device. It will play all the content on Roku and other smart devices.
All you need is to go to the Plex channel application on the Roku device. After that, you should link them, and you will be able to view the contents. Well, the process is pretty simple. Let’s see how to do that.
Getting Plex Roku Channel
1. To get the Plex Roku channel, you should head toward the channel store on the Roku Streaming device. Then, you can scroll down on Roku’s homepage to find the list (towards the left-hand side).
2. You can then select the streaming channels based on your preference.
3. Then, you should scroll down and find the “Search Channels” option. After that, you should enter the text “Plex” in your search bar (which appears on the right-hand side.
4. After Roku finds your Plex account in the Channel Store. You’ll be able to see it on Screen. You can then click on Plex, and on your Roku remote, you should click on the option “Add Channel” on the TV.
5. You can now see that the Roku device is adding the Plex channel. After this process, you can see a notification on the screen. The notification will tell you that the Plex channel has been added to your Roku device’s homepage.
6. Go to the Home screen of the Roku device. You should press the Home button on the Roku remote to do this. This button should appear with a “House” icon or “Go to Channel.”
7. When you open the Plex channel on your Roku device for the first time, do it through your Plex account. That means you should sign in to your Plex account to see the channel on the device.
8. To click on the Sign in option, you will have to use the Roku remote. You can see this option on the Roku TV Screen. You can then visit this link via a computer or a mobile device.
9. A code will not be shown on the TV screen. This code should be used to verify the device. Enter this code displayed on the screen to complete this process.
10. Now, the Roku device will be linked with the Plex account. You will be able to use it without any issues.
Using Plex through a Roku device can be done at any given moment. The only requirement is that you should have a good internet connection to play the content. Once the Plex server is configured properly, or the NAS is connected, there is an endless possibility to enjoy media.
The Bottom Line
If you require to stream local content stored on your computer, Plex is a superb option. It can also be used to play content on the attached network storage device. If you already have a Roku device, linking your Plex account is a pretty simple task.
As a result of linking the devices together, you can easily enjoy a plethora of media through Roku. You can sit down in your comfort and play all the Plex media.
Important Notice for Plex Users
If you are a Plex user, you should consider the below-mentioned aspects to avoid potential dangers.
- When you use Plex, the ISP will gain direct access to what you view and stream over the internet.
- Your ISP can use your information for other purposes.
- Most ISPs will pass their viewer’s information to lawsuits to stay away from trouble. That makes your IP revealed to other parties as well.
To stay away from such unpleasant instances and protect your privacy, we recommend you use a VPN. With a good VPN, you will be able to keep your IP hidden from third parties. Even your ISPs will not be able to detect it.
Well, that is all we have to describe using Plex on a Roku device. We hope this article will be of some use to our readers who also use Roku. Good luck with using Plex on Roku!