“Why can’t I screen share on FaceTime? Is this feature restricted by Apple? Or, is it just me who experiences this kind of issue?”
In this digital age, FaceTime has become a popular tool for connecting with others through video calls.
However, some users have noticed a missing feature: the ability to share their screens during a FaceTime call. It is true that screen sharing is a widely appreciated feature in other video conferencing applications. That said, FaceTime prioritizes simplicity and ease of use, which means certain advanced functionalities.
In this article, we will explore the reasons behind this limitation. Moreover, we discuss alternative options that can help you achieve similar functionality.
By understanding these limitations and exploring alternative solutions, you can make the most out of your FaceTime calls. This is related to business presentations, educational purposes, or simply sharing experiences with friends.
FaceTime SharePlay was introduced as a new feature in iOS 15. Apple announced and released iOS 15 in the fall of 2021. It brought several enhancements and additions to FaceTime, including the SharePlay functionality. It allows users with compatible devices and the iOS 15 to engage in shared experiences during FaceTime calls.
Watching movies and listening to music are only a couple of examples. SharePlay adds an interactive and collaborative element to FaceTime conversations, enhancing the overall user experience.
Besides, if you are experiencing “FaceTime Waiting for Activation” on your iOS device after updating iOS, just read on to learn the reasons behind the issue and how to fix it.
It’s undeniable that the feature called FaceTime is an excellent way to connect with loved ones far away. However, there’re a few problems that people encounter. When making a call, the screen frequently freezes or blanks out.
Of course, there’s a wide variety of factors that contribute to people not enjoying their time spent using FaceTime. Here are a few potential causes of your sharing screen. FaceTime has stopped working.
● The Contact Number Was Saved with an Emoji
Let’s assume that you have saved a number with an emoji to distinguish it from other entries. Since the emoji could be read as part of a contact’s name, this could influence how FaceTime operates.
To avoid this error, please enter the whole name of the contact without emojis or other symbols. Make sure the saved phone number is active in FaceTime’s settings and that the call may go through.
● Facetime Doesn’t Work in Your Country/Region
It’s also possible that the FaceTime screen-sharing capability is not available in your country. You’ll run into problems utilizing FaceTime if you travel to one of the nations where it isn’t officially supported.
● Poor Internet Connection
FaceTime screen share problems can also be caused by a slow or unstable internet connection. It’s possible that the issue isn’t with the gadget itself but with your service. This can cause issues with sharing your screen on FaceTime.
Your FaceTime issues may have their origins in a flaw in the beta version of iOS 15. Let’s assume that you have recently installed iOS 15 Beta version and are now having issues with FaceTime. So, you may want to see if the problem is a result of a bug in the operating system.
So, those are the reasons why can’t I screen share on FaceTime.
Also, let’s tackle the “FaceTime photos not saving” issue with our detailed guide. Uncover reasons, useful tips, and handy solutions to ensure no memory slips away!
Solutions to Try
If you wonder, “Why can’t I share screen on Facetime” mentioned below are the solutions you can try.
Solution 01: Use a Different Wi-Fi That Has Stronger Signals
First, we’ll need the most fundamental tool: a working internet connection. FaceTime voice conversations just require a couple of Mbps.
However, if you plan on sharing your screen, you’ll want to use a faster connection. Connect the phone to a reliable network; more solid curved lines within the WiFi icon usually indicate better connectivity.
Solution 02: Check the iOS Version of the Device
Why isn’t my iPhone’s Facetime share function working? Perhaps the iOS version on the device is older than 15.1. Your iPhone must be running iOS 15.1 or a later version to access FaceTime SharePlay.
Verify that the SharePlay option is accessible from your phone to see if this update is available. If it’s empty, it’s because your OS is too old and has to be updated.
However, there’s no need to fret; updating iOS is a breeze. Just stick to the instructions below.
- Click the option called “Settings“.
- Click “General“. Then, proceed to the option called “Software Update“.
- Now, click on “Download and Install” so the updates will be installed on your iOS device.
Before establishing a connection with a different device, you should check its OS compatibility. They must have the correct iOS version. With an outdated iOS, FaceTime iOS might not work properly.
Solution 03: Perform a Force Reboot
Why can’t I share the screen on Facetime? Those who have this question can try a forced reboot on their devices and see if it works. Issues related to Facetime Screenshare can occur due to some minor glitches as well.
With a force restart, all those minor issues may be fixed. Mentioned below are the steps you should follow to fix this issue.
● For iPhone 6S and 6
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on your device along with its “Home” button for a couple of seconds. After that, release those buttons so the devices will be restarted.
● For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
Press and hold the Volume – button along with the Sleep/Wake button at the same time. After seeing the Apple Logo, you should release both of those buttons to restart it
● For iPhone 8 Plus, X, and Newer Devices
For these devices, you should quickly press the volume + once. Press the volume – button in the same way. After that, press the side button and hold it to see the Apple logo. After that, release the button.
Solution 04: Remove Any Emojis Included in Contact Names
Why isn’t FaceTime letting me share my screen? Make sure you haven’t saved an emoji in the contact’s name.
A common reason why FaceTime screen share doesn’t work is if the contact number was saved with an emoji. It’s likely not working since you’ve put emojis alongside your contacts’ numbers.
Remove any emojis from the contact’s name and recheck to see if it helps. Here’s what you need to do.
- First, open the app called “Contact“, and then you can click the contact’s name you intend to call.
- After that, select the option called “Edit“. You can see it at the top-right segment of your screen.
- After that, you should remove all the emojis that are associated with the contact. Save your changes.
- Then, as the final step, restart “FaceTime“. You can redial and see if it works.
Why can’t I share the screen on Facetime? With the Screen Share option, callers may see one other’s screens at the same time. FaceTime won’t work properly if it’s disabled.
To get your FaceTime back up and running and avoid any further complications, just follow these steps.
- Click “Settings” on your iPhone. Then, scroll further down so you can find the “FaceTime” option.
- Then, click on the option called “FaceTime“. Then, click “SharePlay“.
- Turn on the toggle button.
Solution 06: Restart FaceTime
Perhaps, the FaceTime app itself may have some issues with it. If so, you can simply restart the app and see if the problem is resolved.
Below are the steps you should follow to do it.
- Go to the “Settings” of your device and select “FaceTime“.
- Turn the device off. After that, wait for a while before turning it on. After that, Screenshare should function properly.
Solution 07: Reset Network Settings
Let’s assume that your FaceTime SharePlay doesn’t work as expected. So, try to reset your network settings and see if it works.
- Go to “Settings” and tap on “General“.
- Scroll down and tap “Transfer/Reset“. Then, tap “Reset“.
- Select “Reset Network Settings“.
- Then, you should confirm the action simply by entering the password.
Solution 08: Log out and Log in to FaceTime
Signing out and in is another solution that works if you wonder why can’t I screen share on FaceTime.
Below is how to do it.
- Launch Settings and navigate to “FaceTime“.
- Click Apple ID located under the Blue Link of Caller ID.
- Log out and wait for a while before leaving.
- Log in using the Apple ID to FaceTime SharePlay.
An Alternative to Sharing FaceTime Screen – Phone Mirror
Here is a great alternative to try if FaceTime Screenshare doesn’t work as expected. You can use this professional solution called Phone Mirror to mirror your iOS device to a big screen.
Also, it allows you to control the iOS device through the computer. So, this is an ideal alternative to screen sharing.
Phone Mirror allows you to:
- Share iOS and Android device screens to PC.
- Control iOS and Android devices from your computer.
- Play mobile games on a PC.
- Transfer files easily between computers and phones.
How to use it.
- Install Phone Mirror on your PC and open it. Tap “iOS Mirror“.
- Connect your iOS device and PC to the same internet (Wi-Fi) connection to proceed. Then, go to your iPhone’s Control Center. Tap Screen Mirroring and choose Phone Mirror.
- Start FaceTime and then start SharePlay.
- Now, your iPhone will be mirrored to the PC.
If none of the above solutions have worked, here’s a professional tool that fixes all the iOS issues.
Namely, it is Tenorshare ReiBoot. It is an excellent solution that works perfectly to fix any issues on your iPhone. ReiBoot is ideal for any user (even for total novices).
- Download ReiBoot and get it installed on your PC. Then, open the application. After that, connect the faulty iOS device to the same PC.
- Tap “Start“.
- SELECT “Standard Repair” to proceed.
- Download the most recent firmware.
- Then, select “Start Standard Repair“.
- In a couple of minutes, your device will be fully repaired. So, you can use Facetime with no issues at all.
That’s basically it. There are many reasons why can’t I share screens on Facetime. If the basic solutions don’t fix that issue, you can use Tenorshare ReiBoot as a professional option.
There could be several reasons behind this issue. It could be related to device compatibility, outdated software, unstable internet connection, or incorrectly configured screen-sharing settings.
Start by checking your device compatibility, ensuring your software is updated, and checking the stability of your internet connection. Lastly, revisit your FaceTime screen-sharing settings to ensure they’re configured correctly.
Regular device check-ups, staying updated with software, maintaining a stable internet connection, and regular auditing of your FaceTime settings can help prevent future issues.
No, only certain models and devices running specific versions of iOS or macOS support the screen-sharing feature.
Yes, a flaky internet connection can lead to various FaceTime issues, including problems with screen sharing.
These settings can vary based on your device and software version. It’s advisable to follow Apple’s official guidelines or get in touch with Apple Support for assistance.