With over 1 billion monthly active users, TikTok has become one of the most popular social media platforms. While it can be fun and entertaining, you may occasionally encounter users you want to block.
Blocking someone on TikTok prevents them from viewing your profile, commenting on your videos, messaging you, or interacting with your content in any way. It helps protect your privacy and creates a more positive experience on the app.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about blocking users on TikTok, including:
What Happens When You Block Someone on TikTok
When you block a user on TikTok, it severs communication between you and that person. Here are the key effects:
- They won’t be able to view your profile or any of your videos, even public ones.
- Any comments or messages they’ve sent you will be deleted.
- They won’t be able to search for your account or find it through TikTok’s recommendations.
- You won’t receive any notifications about their activity or new videos.
- Any previous likes, follows, or comments from that user will be removed.
- You won’t see their videos in your Following feed or For You page recommendations.
Essentially, blocking makes it so the other person can no longer interact with you or access your content on TikTok in any way.
Blocking is the most effective way to stop someone from contacting you, viewing your videos, or engaging with your profile against your wishes. It gives you control over your TikTok experience.
Interested in going live but don’t have the required followers? Here’s how to go live on TikTok without 1000 followers.
How to Block a User on TikTok
Blocking someone on TikTok only takes a few taps, and can be done either from their profile page or while replying to comments.
From Their Profile
1. Open the profile page of the user you want to block.
2. Tap the three-dot menu in the top-right corner.
3. Select Block from the dropdown menu.
4. Confirm by tapping Block again on the pop-up.
Once blocked, the user will be completely unable to interact with your profile or content. They won’t be able to view your TikTok videos, see your posts, send you messages, or find your profile through searches or recommendations. It’s as if your account doesn’t even exist to them anymore on the platform. The only way to reverse it is to unblock them.
It’s also worth noting other features TikTok offers. Want to add a link to your profile? Here’s a guide on how to add Linktree to TikTok.
While Replying to Comments
You can also block accounts that are posting unwanted comments on your videos:
1. Tap and hold on the comment you want to block.
2. Tap Manage in the pop-up menu.
3. Check the box next to any other comments you want to block.
4. Tap Block accounts at the bottom.
5. Confirm by tapping Block accounts again.
This makes it easy to block multiple accounts at once who are posting spam or negative comments.
How to Unblock a User on TikTok
If you later change your mind and want to open communication back up, unblocking the user is simple. Just go to their profile, tap the three-dot menu, and select “Unblock.” Their profile and videos will become visible to you again on your For You page and Following feed.
Or, if you simply want a bit more privacy, discover how to turn off active status on TikTok.
How to See Your List of Blocked Accounts
To view a list of all accounts you’ve blocked:
1. Tap your profile icon.
2. Go to the menu and tap Settings and privacy.
3. Select Privacy under the Account section.
4. Scroll down and tap Blocked accounts.
Here you can see every account you’ve blocked, as well as unblock any you want to remove from the list.
What the Blocked User Can and Can’t Do
Once blocked, here are the key limitations and restrictions placed on the blocked user:
✅ They CAN:
- Still have an active TikTok account.
- Post new videos and use TikTok normally.
- Interact with other accounts on TikTok.
❌ They CANNOT:
- View your TikTok profile or any of your videos.
- Like, share, or comment on your content.
- Send you direct messages.
- Search for your account or find it through recommendations.
- See any of your past interactions.
Blocking prevents the user from having any access to your account or contacting you on TikTok. But it doesn’t disable their account or stop them from using TikTok in general.
Can a Blocked User Tell You Blocked Them?
No, TikTok does not notify users if they have been blocked.
When you block someone, it simply makes your account inaccessible to them. There is no indication given that they have been blocked.
This allows you to block troublesome users without them knowing or retaliating. Blocking happens secretly behind the scenes.
Should You Notify Someone Before Blocking?
There is no obligation to inform someone that you intend to block them on TikTok.
However, if it is someone you know personally and want to preserve the relationship with, consider communicating with them first.
Explain that you are feeling harassed or uncomfortable with their TikTok behavior and ask them to stop the unwanted interaction. If they do not respect your request, you can then block them without further notice.
With strangers exhibiting harassing behavior, it’s fine to simply block them right away. But when blocking friends or acquaintances, sending a quick message explaining why you feel it’s necessary can help avoid misunderstandings.
Blocking Considerations for Parents
For parents managing their child’s TikTok account, blocking other users can help protect them from unwanted interactions.
Here are some best practices:
- Periodically check their follower and following lists for any worrying accounts.
- Ask who they are interacting with and look out for strange behavior from adults.
- Use TikTok’s Family Pairing feature to limit interactions.
- Block individuals exhibiting suspicious or inappropriate behavior.
- Have an open conversation explaining why you blocked certain accounts.
- Make sure your child understands how to identify and handle harassment themselves.
- Teach them to let you know if they ever feel uncomfortable with another user’s behavior.
Blocking can limit your child’s exposure to unsavory accounts. But having open communication and teaching online safety is equally important.
Tips for Staying Safe on TikTok
Beyond just blocking troublesome users, here are some general tips to enhance your safety and privacy on TikTok:
- Set your account to private so only approved followers can view your content.
- Be selective about approving follow requests from people you don’t know.
- Use TikTok’s filtering options to limit inappropriate comments.
- Turn off “Allow Others to Find Me” under the privacy settings.
- Avoid sharing personal information like your location, school, phone number, etc.
- Set your message settings to “Friends Only” to limit unsolicited contact.
- Enable restricted mode to limit mature content.
- Be cautious about meeting TikTokers you only know online.
- Delete videos that may attract unwanted attention or harassment.
- Talk to your parents if you have any concerns about other users.
- Learn how to watch TikTok anonymously to protect your privacy.
- Ever wondered what makes a video take off? Discover what is considered viral on TikTok.
Staying vigilant, limiting personal information shared, and making use of TikTok’s privacy controls can help prevent problems down the line.
FAQs About Blocking on TikTok
Can someone tell if you’ve blocked them on TikTok?
No, TikTok does not notify users that they have been blocked. It simply makes your account invisible to them behind the scenes.
What happens when you block someone on TikTok?
Blocking prevents the user from viewing your profile, posts, or videos on TikTok. All communication will be cut off.
Should I warn someone before blocking them?
If it’s someone you know, consider giving them a heads up. For strangers, feel free to block right away without notice.
Can you unblock someone on TikTok?
Yes, just go to their profile, tap the three-dot menu, and select “Unblock” to reverse your blocking decision.
How do I see who I’ve blocked on my TikTok account?
You can view your full list of blocked accounts under the privacy settings for your TikTok account.
Can someone on TikTok still view your videos if blocked?
No, blocking specifically prevents the user from viewing any of your TikTok videos or accessing your profile.
- Blocking on TikTok severs all communication between you and another user. They will no longer be able to interact with your profile or content in any way.
- To block an account, go to their profile page, tap the three-dot menu, and select “Block.” You can also block multiple accounts at once from comment replies.
- TikTok does not notify users if they have been blocked. The blocking happens secretly.
- Use blocking to stop harassment and create a better experience on the app. But also use TikTok’s privacy settings and be cautious about sharing personal details publicly.
- If inappropriately contacted by another user, especially as a minor, tell your parents or a trusted adult right away.
Blocking people on TikTok is an effective moderation tool to take control over your account and curate the kind of experience you want to have on the platform. Use it wisely to protect your privacy and limit unwanted interactions.