Browsing the internet takes up mass amounts of time every day. Parents are constantly instructing children to put their electronics down, and employers are telling employees to stop using social media while working.
Even though the internet is such a powerful tool, it’s a shame that it can be an immense distraction. Being a distraction, it has led employers to use an internet blocker.
We can’t place all the blame on procrastinators, though. We’ve all had projects to work on when we suddenly end up on Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat. It’s unfortunate, but it would seem like the only viable solution to this problem is to use a blocker.
As such, we’ll explain what we feel the top blocking software is.
What is an Internet Blocker?
Internet blocking software prevents users from accessing the internet. Some blockers completely reject users; other blockers are set up so that only certain websites are accessible. Having this software in place makes it easy to handle workplace distractions.
If you aren’t sure whether using an internet blocker is worth it, consider this. In 2014, a study that the Stop Procrastinating campaign chose to conduct found that 36% of people were spending at least an hour on social media each day.
The typical workday is 8 hours long, and even just one hour can have a significant impact on productivity. So, if you’re an employer, it’s time to take action and use an internet blocker.
Platforms: iOS and Android
At the very top of our list is Famisafe – the best of the best. This piece of software is meant specifically for smartphones, and therefore it’s a great way to stop staff from picking up their iPhones and browsing Facebook every few minutes.
We all do it, and as you know, it puts productivity on the back burner. Prevent your employees from accessing certain websites by installing Famisafe on their smartphones. You can also take an extra step and block apps using Famisafe too.
You can get a live view of this one of the best IMEI number trackers – Famisafe, by checking out the live demo. On this page, you’ll be able to navigate through some of the features that are in the list below.
- Block websites and apps from usage
- Track your kid’s device activity
- View the live location of your employees/children
- Receive alerts whenever the target device is outside of the set zone
- The powerful Telegram hack tool can hack WhatsApp chat history and access the target’s text messages, emails, and browsing history
- Utilize all Famisafe features from one simple dashboard
#2 – RescueTime
Platforms: Android, Linux, Windows, and Mac
In comparison to Famisafe, RescueTime is a different type of internet blocker. Rather than actually blocking websites, it monitors a computer’s activity. Once you install the RescueTime program on your computer, it runs silently in the background, collecting activity data.
The program then collects data such as the programs you are using, how long you are using them, and for users that use the browser add-on, their website activity too. After a few hours of working each day, the data will be readily available on the RescueTime website.
So, as you can see, it’s a great way to make sure your children are doing their homework or that your employees are being productive.
Don’t forget; it’s also great for tracking your own productivity! Make sure that no time is going to waste, and install RescueTime on your computer, browser, and smartphone.
- Tracks productivity across multiple computers and smartphones simultaneously
- Compiles the device activity into charts and graphs for ease of access
- Provides users with a productivity score to help gauge how productive they have been each day, week, month, etc.
- For every day that RescueTime is running, the data for that day will be on their dashboard forever
- The browser add-on monitors websites and categorizes them accordingly
- Completely free to use, although premium accounts get more useful tools for tracking data
#3 – Freedom
Platforms: Windows, macOS, and iOS
Available across various platforms, Freedom is one of the most popular internet blockers. You can block social media, mobile apps, and general websites with this blocker. Whatever you want to block, Freedom is a suitable tool to be using.
Freedom is a free tool to use at first. However, when you start blocking devices and what they can access, it’ll cost you $2.50 each month – this covers all the devices, though!
- Compatible with iPhones, Windows computers, and Mac computers
- Schedule periods that you want to block the content during
- Break procrastination by disallowing employees (or children) access to websites or apps
- Sync blocklists across multiple devices
- Unlimited blocks on apps and websites
- $2.50 each month covering all devices
#4 – Internet Lock
Platforms: Windows, macOS, and Android
Next up is Internet Lock – software which is quite rightfully named. It’s capable of restricting internet access on various devices, adding an extra password for internet access, and basic blocking of websites that cause distractions.
Currently, this solution supports internet activity from any browser. Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox – seriously, any browser. You can even use it to block some programs from accessing the internet, too, like messengers and games.
- Prevent computer users from accessing their instant messenger programs
- Block browsers, websites, or user access
- Easy to use and an effective internet blocker
- Disallow access to email and FTP clients
- Schedule when you want the program to block content
#5 – Cold Turkey Internet Blocker
Platforms: Windows, macOS, and Android
One of the more intricate blockers is Cold Turkey. It is a very easy-to-use blocking solution that you can modify to block virtually any content, such as social media, YouTube videos, magazine websites – anything that could be a distraction.
Currently, there are over 250,000 people who utilize Cold Turkey. From students who have assignments due to freelancers looking to make the most out of their day – different types of people can benefit from using this kind of internet blocker. With a satisfaction rate of 97%, you can be sure this is your solution.
- Various customization features so that you can configure it around your distractions
- Whenever you block a website and the user tries to access it, a custom motivational message will appear on the screen
- It has a dashboard that makes it easy to change settings and is very easy to set up
- Add your schedule to the dashboard so that certain things aren’t accessible during your focus hours
- Block websites and programs
- Create lists of programs/websites to block and use different lists and at different times
#6 – BrowseControl
Platforms: Windows PC and Windows Server (various versions)
Last on our list is BrowseControl, a program that employers use to keep their employees hard at work while producing the best standard of work they can.
Rather than blocking individual websites, a stand-out feature is the categories list. This allows employers to block a category which in turn will block every website that falls under the chosen category.
Do your employees use programs that also distract them? Not to worry. The Browse Control internet blocker also offers an application blocking tool. Completely remove distractions from the internet with one simple all-in-one solution.
If you’re having a hard time deciding which of these tools to use, Browse Control offers an all-inclusive free trial. Get an idea of how the features work, and just like that, you’ll be installing it at the office.
- 100s of categories to block, making blocking multiple sites a much easier task
- Install and set up on the target device from a remote device
- Capable of identifying malicious websites and blocking user access
- Includes an application blocker
- Browse Control provides a “Safe Search” feature that allows employers to limit their employees’ search results
- Any websites on the “Allow” list will be exempt from the “Block” list of categories
Take your pick. All these solutions work amazingly and will prove reliable when you use them. We encourage you to check out Famisafe since it is at the top of our list. It has a flexible set of features and is definitely among the most reliable choices.
With that said, you should take the time to try a few different options out because, as a result, you’ll get a better idea of which internet blocker you prefer based on your own experience instead of just the reviews.